Looking for fire clay & Fire bricks

Hi all,

I’m building an outdoor wood oven. I need fire bricks and fire clay. Any source in the DFW area?

Trinity Ceramic supply would be your best course

But I think that outdoor wood ovens can be make withoug fire clay and fire brick

1 Like

When you get around to this let me know I would love to come and help you. I had plans to make one at the old house but (squirrel brain) it never happened but I have the perfect place for it now.

2 Likes

True. Anything that touches fire needs to be firebrick and the hearth needs fire clay for the mortar. I’ll reach out to them. I understand that lowes and HD had fire clay. looks like they don’t carry it anymore…

Yeah. I would be glad to have you come and help…

1 Like

I’d recommend talking to Tom Ford about fire brick, he has a really good source for it here in DFW. I’m pretty sure he’s on Talk but I’m not sure of his handle.

1 Like

Get the stuff and we can figure out a time. Many volunteered to provide the glass bottles if you go that way. Here’s my original post ---- over a year of not making this happen oh my.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/anyone-have-experience-building-with-cob/13598

1 Like

Here is one that doesn t use firebricnk Firebrick are a modern invention, 20th century,
You are not dealing with the heat that firebrick requyires YOu are not trying to get the heat up
to over 1,000 degrees, I have fire clay work in a kiln in my backyard that was just made of bricks
It was a low temp fire, maybe 05 at the best

1 Like

I have this oddball interest in brick, I periodically go searching
for information on how medieval kilns were built, Shape I can fine fut deetails about the
bricks seem to be missing, What we think of as a standard brick was not available back then, Low fired bricks were what they had

1 Like

If you do a search for “refractory dallas tx” it will bring up, among other things, dealers of refractory materials such as fire bricks.

3 Likes

when I built mine I picked up a bag of clay at a refractory supply. I waited to find the firebrick on craig’s list and got them 2 for a dollar.

Thanks. Tried that and I can’t find anyone selling fire clay. Fire brick was $2 a brick so I’m hoping for a better source. Otherwise I might just go with regular brick.

Ckeck here for fire clay.

https://thinkhwi.com/industries/brick-ovens-artisans/

FYI, insulating firebrick is used for things like kilns and non-insulating for ovens, etc.

Ben Kraznow recently bought some on eBay for his glass project

1 Like

Don’t know if this is the right “Tom Ford”, but @Bwana1 claims to be a “Thomas Ford”…

PS want some firebrick myself. Need to watch the Craigslists, apparently…

I’m checking something out. Will let you know soonish…

1 Like

ACME brick in Denton - they are fantastic!

So – Fired Arts has a tote full of fire bricks from a long-ago kiln. PM me or @cmcooper0 and we’ll see about giving them to you. I have heard that the mid-fire clay that we use is a little too temperature sensitive for direct fire. Your mileage may vary. We’ve got boatloads of that, too.

By temperature sensitive, I mean that it won’t like big jumps in temp very well, and might crack. If meanbaby has a better recommendation, I’d go with that. Unless some cracking is okay, and you’re better with free… :wink:

1 Like

You can also try this place in Fort Worth. They have refractory equipment for industrial use, so they don’t have much advertisement for retail, but they will sell refractory materials by the single bag.

Canfield and Joseph
550 N. Beach St.
Fort Worth, TX
800-480-8957

2 Likes

He needs a special firer clay to build with, a refractory is his best bet. If the bricks are not claimed, Ill take them.