Looking for cheap douglas fir

Hello.
Looking for cheap lumber to build beehives.
I want to use fir just like the one used in the 2by4
Most places I called have only vertical grain and sanded one for over 7 bucks a bf
Anyone knows where I could find the cheap kind other than buying studs and squaring them.
Cedar would work too but can’t find it cheap either.
Thank you

So, what you’re running into here is a shortage in the lumber supply chain, leading to unprecedented lumber costs.

Lumber futures have shot up 27% so far in November, closing Friday at $630.10 per thousand board feet. That’s a lot lower than the record $1,000 hit this summer during America’s pandemic-induced lumber binge. But it is nearly twice the typical price for boards delivered in January.

Wood inventories are thin throughout the lumber supply chain, while demand from builders and home remodelers remains strong, Mr. Stockfish said during an online real-estate investing conference this week.

Fir studs and manually squaring them is going to be the only way to do it cheap. You might be able to find a deal on some rough pine or spruce, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

2 Likes

My father works in the industry and thanked me personally for buying lumber at notable peak in 2018. Then he had to buy a large quantity of treated lumber in September for an urgent project and felt far more pain than I did.

I gather a number of plants have been idled or are running at reduced capacity; the COVID home improvement boom was not anticipated thus skyrocketing demand smashed into dwindling supply and pricing as we now know it happened.

1 Like

What type of hives are you looking to build langstroth 10 frames? If so hit me up I just bought 350 for my spring hive expansions next year for 10.25 plush shipping which was 12-13 a box delivered and assembled. I literally can’t buy the wood for that now? Tell me if you can get it cheaper as I need another 350 in april

I’m building warre hives. Those are good prices. Any chance you sell bees packages?

When you mean bee packages are you referring to hives or nucs? I don’t sell packages bees as they never work out well for beginners and even seasoned folks. I do sell bees in the spring if that is what you are asking.