Looking for a metal magician to make a repair for CA

We bought a screen printing setup.
It needs a repair to the platen (the sheet that supports the shirt as you press ink on it) the previous repair was done in wood and it’s just not gonna hold. Would anyone be willing to take this on?

You can do that in wood and still have it hold up to quite a bit of abuse…

What you have there is just a quick and dirty (very quick and dirty) hack/fix.

Those rivets will need to be completely flush with the surface of the plate. Just FYI for the person making the mods

Is it a new arm that you need?

I think this video (posted in another thread by Nicole) at this point in time does a decent job of showing (an artist’s rendering) of the way this arm is supposed to look. Looks like an L-shaped and gusseted piece of sheet metal to me (not poorly represented by the wooden piece, actually)

Looks like it would be quite easy to make. The aluminum looks like they have weld studs on the back side so no rivets would have to be used.

Those are intended to be changeable, as the machine would have been shipped with changeable platens, and more could be purchased.The “starter kit” would have looked like this,

with the baby, adult, and “sleeve” platens. Looks like the one we have here is the adult platen.
Here is one page which lists them for sale. But not the arm they mount to, as far as I can tell…

I realize what we have is a hacky fix at best - someone tried to keep it afloat at least. Hopefully the fix can still be interchangeable. In time we could get at least one more platen that will allow for a larger surface for printing posters (hopefully before open house).
It would be nice to have the others (sleeve, smaller shirts and possibly a plus size platen) but I’m just happy if we can get the first one to be usable.
Thank you for everyone who is willing to contribute. Metals fabrication (like 30000 other things) I have no knowledge of so any help is appreciated. If anyone takes this on I would love to help out however I can and I will purchase everything. I’m also a half-Assed assistant.

3 Likes