Looking for a longer drill bit

I’ve been getting into both kitbashing and pre-fab longer single tube pen kits - which is great for looks but is increasingly difficult to successfully drill out the pen blank. In the last set I made I used less of the bit’s shank in the chuck than is normal and while it worked after a fashion, it was a struggle to keep the bit seated in the chuck.

When I’ve got the bit seated properly, I’ll functionally have 3.5" - 3.75" or so, and I’m looking to drill 4.25" - 4.5" in the long run (pun… slightly intended?).

I guess what I’m looking for is a source of long drill bits useful for wood? I am aware that there are long bits for masonry work that can get up to 1’, but that would not only be massive overkill but the wrong tool for the job.

Thoughts? Sources?

Don’t know what diameter you’re looking for … but Lee Valley has many diameters with 4" flute, 6" overall length. If you peck it and clear when you get near the bottom you should be able to get your 4.25 - 4.5".

7mm dia chosen at random …

1 Like

Perfect - this is exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you!

1 Like

Also, look in the electrician/electrical tools… you’ll find some crazy long drill bit sizes.

I’d recommend fully seating the drill bit to start your hole, then if needed moving the bit down in the chuck a bit. This will minimize bit wobble from runout when starting the hole.

You might even consider using a shorter bit to start the hole and swapping in the longer bit later.

1 Like

Get aircraft drills here, they are long.

CDC Products
940 E Belt Line Rd # 172, Richardson, TX 75081
(972) 918-9886
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HYfqTRWBNPQE8xeu7

2 Likes

As a reminder…CDC Products does not take credit cards. Use green cash instead.

Edit: While at CDC Products check out the back corner where they have odds and ends of steel, aluminum, and plastic materials.

3 Likes

Then there are auger/woodboring bits. Much longer. They wander less that standard bits. Harbor Freight even has some 18" long. Unlikely to find metric in the states. Maybe Canada though.

Is it metric or standard, or does it matter? What diameter are you looking for?

Lol the wood shop has drill bits longer than you’ll ever need, but they delicate so I don’t know if there’s approval needed to use them but they’re like 2 1/2 feet long lol

And he’s closed on Mondays …

But he does take checks.

1 Like

We have auger bits somewhere? Where is that?

In a perfect world - 7mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 3/8”.

In the world we live in - 7mm and 3/8”. And even the 3/8” is optional.

Yea those are the ones I’m referencing, given the flex and how easy it would be to snap one, did you want me to msg you the location or just post ok here

Pan American Aircraft Drills.

135 degree split point bits in 6” lengths. Made for drilling aluminum but will be fine for wood.