Looking for a group to help with personal hydroponic set up

I was wondering If there was a spot in science to work on a personal hydroponic set up. Also are there any science group members that could help me?

Can you say more about your project? If it’s a personal project, it won’t be able to stay for longer than a couple of months in the Science Space and we would require 1 class to be taught on the subject matter.

If you’re interested in building something grander and longer lasting, I can add your name to the automated horticulture group of people around DMS interested in this type of project. Such a system would need to regulate and monitor nutrient levels automatically, upload data to a server, allow DMS members to test grow various plants under a wide range of lighting and nutrient conditions, and maintain hundreds of Wisconsin Fast Plants. This might sound huge but we don’t have to build it all at once and are more likely to proceed by test individual proof of concepts before constructing a more final version of such a system.

1 Like

Night Ranger, Can you add me to the list too?

1 Like

My current plan is to use a beagle bone green and setup and run wirelessly. I will have to buy more sensors. I have to get the relay to work with tye beaglebone green.

1 Like

This is the housing of the green house.

The above are the hydro ponic pots. I am going to try to control humidity and light. Later the ph of the water.

1 Like

Whoa ho ho!! That’s a beaut! We gots the space now and would love to have it. Are you thinking anything specifically you want to try test growing in there? We’ve heard interest for orchids (of which we might turn a buck or two) and miracle fruit (of which we might also turn a buck or two) among others I’m forgetting. For the sake of synergy, planning, and collaboration for the Science Space, I personally would want to see how many Wisconsin Fast Plants we could fit in any leftover space if this doesn’t affect your plans for it

The first load of the project. has the water tank. air pump, water pump… hoses. line pressure nozzles and hydro pots… I need to bring in the rest later this week.

1 Like

Looking good, keep the rest coming! I’ll be up here today or tonight if you need help with anything

The grow tent is here as well as the beagle bone green. Seeed studio sensors are sensor that run based off of a powered i2c connection. It maybe a good idea to remove the power and localized power to the sensor or sensor cluster as a longer line would have voltage due to resistance in the line.

1 Like

Also a cape to extend the i2c bus was purchased two light intensity senors, one uv sensor, and two humidity and temperture senors… The co2 is out range for my budget. I have to build my own ph i2c sensor (as well as other fluid chemical sensor) I also have build a electrical unit to commuiate between the relay and the beagle bone green. I need to purchase or make an industrisl humidifer. I need a heater, and 5 lights.

Very nice!

The lights you brought in months ago are on top of the blue biohood there in the pic. I’ll see what we might be able to scrounge up for you in the way of heater. Do you have anything particular in mind?

Sorry I am just high lighting my own road map. I intend to earn the parts myself… I am happy to take advice.

1 Like

Work away friend. Photos appreciated

Update the beagle bone green wireless need a firmware up date. Next week I hope to have the lights.

1 Like

I am a bit perplexed… the dataflow api for node red needs some work as the choice of sensors seem limited. There also is a way of getting a beagle bone or pi3 to interface with labview. If given the choice of lab view or node red which is a good choice?

@semaphore1999, any thoughts?

probably trying both ways and seeing which more used…

Everybody knows where I sit with this one. I think that LabVIEW is an extremely powerful interface to do most things. I am unfamiliar with node red, and also this setup, but we can schedule a time to chat and see if there is a way I can help. Maybe we should set up a meet via PM?

1 Like

My only snag is that the labview set up requite a desktop for delpoyment. I would have to setup the project on a desktop and then the board might not be editable via it own os (aka beagle bone or raspberry pi can not be editable via on board linux). Can we get a computer?

I have a case and mother board of a computer this might be used in the creation of a computer for science group.