Looking for a beater laptop

I want to start teaching some Blender classes, but I don’t want to use my personal computer to hook up and demo with. Anyone know where I can grab something functional for real cheap/free? Doesn’t need Windows or software, I’m gonna just drop some Linux on it.

Related, who’s box of laptops is in the common area?

I used to go to the 1st Saturday computer under Woodall Rodgers near West End Marketplace. If they are still having it the next one is early in the morning of Dec. 5th.

I’ve got 2 laptops that I was going to post for sale at $40 each - if you are interested I can bring by the space some time this week. Both run fine with Linux.

Oh crap, that box of laptops in the multipurpose room was supposed to be put on a storage shelf… can someone put my name on it? I’m sorry about that :worried:
Those laptops will have linux put on them and be for general use at DMS. We need to laser-etch our logo on them, first.

1 Like

Oh damn - threw them away. Cleared out all the unidentified clutter :wink:

4 Likes

Phil, I’d be interested in one of those if there is one available. I’ve got a friend with a daughter who needs a computer of her own for school.

If you are using them for classes, you could just have infrastructure install blender on those common room laptops.

Well, that’s true! I could even use those without Blender being installed on the laptop. It’s got an unzippable version. Might have to do that for a bit until I can get a bit of cash from teaching.

Cool, how quick are you looking to sell them? I’m going to try teaching a class so I can get some cash from that so I’m not going to be buying super quick.