Look for your name on the WIKI

We have been asked to update our WIKI page and list the machine shop members. I have taken a first stab at this. I have create the list of teams, the team leader, and mentors. Some slots are currently blank.
No one has been deleted (yet) from the old list. If I could find you on TALK, I have placed you under General Members. If I could not find the name on TALK, either the person is using a TALK alias I could not identify or is no longer around and so I have moved those names underneath. This is not meant as a slight, it just means we haven’t met yet and I look forward to doing so. BUT, if in 30 days we have not found you, the name will be deleted.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE WIKI PAGE. If your name is missing and you wish to consider yourself a member of the machine shop please send me a message or just add your name in the appropriate place. If you’re there and no longer wish to be a MS committee member, just let me know or remove it yourself. Finally, If you wish to be on one of the teams as a leader, mentor, instructor, etc, just let me know and I’ll gladly add you.

The list exists on the WIKI so that members can be identified when other members need to locate someone that knows something about the machine shop and to recognize other members with a similar interest. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Thank you David! Much appreciated

You’re most welcome … except Nick did it!

Here is the link to the Machine Shop committee page in the Wiki.

5 Likes

Teach me to look better! Thank you @nicksilva!!

2 Likes

Safety and Machine Shop rules should include:

• Lanyards must be secured or removed

Thanks, good catch. Updated as follows:

• Lanyards must be safety “breakaway type” and secured inside a pocket or shirt. If not breakaway they must be removed from around neck.
1 Like

(a) I added the line “Restore the machine to its standard configuration.”
(b) I recommend we insert a line that says something to the effect of “Defeating safety equipment or interlocks is ground for loss of machine shop privileges”.

3 Likes

permanent loss

Seriously, it shows a complete lack of regard.

4 Likes

I have added the following section to the WIKI. Let’s not go crazy here. we are more about action than disciplinary action.

Disciplinary Actions
DMS has a long tradition of trying to keep it’s members safe. Certain actions of misbehavior can or will result in a loss of machine shop privileges. Such actions include by not limited to:

• Defeating safety equipment or interlocks
  • Arguing with a member who points out your are being unsafe. It is for your own good.
  • Deliberate abuse or destruction of machine shop equipment. Remember - you’re on camera.
  • failure to follow machine shop rules - including the need for cleanup.
4 Likes

I don’t think we currently publish a standard configuration. Perhaps it might be a good opportunity to do so? Ex. Compound angle is a matter of choice.

1 Like

I don’t think we do, either, but it is machine-specific and I believe we have been putting that information into the training classes. That’s why I was intentionally vague.

It wouldn’t hurt to document the “standard configuration” for each major tool in the Machine Shop Tools section so there isn’t any doubt. Anyone wants to send to me or point me to the correct information and I can do the editing.

1 Like

there is no published standard, but there is the old addage “Leave it the way you found it or BETTER”.
Some things are just intuitive or should be:
-Took the vise off the bridgeport or HAAS? PUT IT BACK.
-Leave the drill bit in the press - you’re a bad person.
-Clear the memory on the HAAS when done. Put the offsets they way they were. PERIOD.
-Took something out of the toolbox or cabinet? The table is not where it should be left.
-Used the coldsaw? RELOCK it when done.
-Took the 3 jaw chuck off the lathe to use the 4 jaw. 3 jaw should be put back when done.

These are just some of the things we see. Contribute to the culture we’re trying to build by doing what you know is right.

3 Likes

I know that, and I agree. Some things are general, like return all tools and fixtures to appropriate storage. But I also think there are some specific things that should be identified.

Bridgeport:

• 6" Kurt vise is installed on the table
  • Mill head is (restored to) vertical and tram’d
  • Power feed and DRO are turned off

Colchester:

• 3-jaw chuck installed on the lathe
  • Chuck jaws are in the “normal” position (I don’t know if the Colchester chuck has reversible jaws?)

Cold Saw:

• Relock the position

HAAS:

• Clear the memory
  • Restore the offsets to the way they were.

Sherline lathe:

• Chuck jaws are in the “normal” position

Despite the obvious “leave it the way we found it”, most of these specific items make the list because of at least one instance when someone didn’t think that part of the configuration needed to be restored. This is particularly valid (IMO) for chucks - if we have multiple chucks (and/or vises) then leaving any one of them on there might seem as good as leaving any other one on there. It’s worth documenting our expectations.

The goal is to have a laminated photo showing how it should be arrows pointing out specific things. Move the vice out of square, leave it clearly out of square so the next user KNOWS it needs to be checked. You don’t have to put it back.

If you move the Tram on the Head , how trued up it must be left. Shows what equipment is to be left at the machine. If not there, then put it away.

1 Like

???:astonished:

Laminated also … but we lament how things are left.

2 Likes