Logo on anodized aluminum

I am looking to make logo markings on a black anodized aluminum plate. I was hoping that the laser cutters might be capable of doing this, but I don’t know much about them nor have I been trained on them. Does this sound possible? I would also be interested in hiring someone to do this, although I see that there is a “Laser Basics and Project Class” coming up on the calendar. Would that class enable me to do this myself?

Another question… Aluminum is typically finished to prevent oxidization. If I etch off the finish for a logo, I assume I would want to apply some kind of clear coat. Would anyone have recommendations for that? Thank you.

1 Like

I haven’t done it but I believe the laser will blast off the anodized/dyed layer to make your logo.

Aluminum doesn’t typically oxidize in an unsightly way. The molecules thick layer of aluminum oxide prevents further oxidation under normal circumstances and won’t be visible. If you were building an airplane I’d suggest some treatments but for a consumer product you don’t need to do anything.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/how-it-works/anodized.htm

1 Like

I’ve done plenty of anodized aluminum. It comes out great, especially on the epilog when you can get razor thin lines. If you play your cards right you can even get multi-tone.

As Matt said the natural oxide layer that forms on aluminum when exposed to air will be sufficient for all but the most stringent of cases like specific chemical exposures and aircraft.

8 Likes

Thanks folks! I took the first class and am signed up for the Epilogue Laser class. Any recommendations for speed/power settings?

This looks really nice!

We programmed in an anodized setting, but I saw in an issues thread that someone may have wiped it.

I’m gonna try and set it again next time I’m in if someone doesn’t beat me to it. Otherwise I’d get some extra and do some tests. Nice thing about anodized is that machine can’t really go too high power wise, so run the speed where you start taking off material.
The power becomes more granular when you start doing multi-tone anodized stuff like that photo

They look pretty good, but I was testing on the back and didn’t realize it wasn’t the same brush aluminum surface. So they didn’t quite turn out how I wanted. But now I ordered more and have these I can test with. For the record, the anodized setting is still MIA.

2 Likes