Long Term(ish) planning September Anniversary - What are we doing for it?

So I’ve been told that September brings on the anniversary of our space. What are we doing to celebrate it? How are we going to change things up? Is it going to get a new shirt every year like Big Tex? Can we have a party- I love a party? Mini-makerfaire.

Who should I talk to? What should we do? I’m full of…ideas (don’t fill in the blank people)!

2 Likes

@uglyknees

Nicole, do you know what anniversary; leather, linen, wood, iron, …?

As to who you would talk to, I am think 'doocracy"… :smile:

1 Like

Hahahaha
I’m not entirely sure what you buy for a makerspace except art supplies to celebrate :slight_smile:

We need to get in touch with some long-timers for a bit of insight
@AlexRhodes share your know how on this anniversary
@BenjaminGroves @AndrewLeCody? Do tell - September what is it all about? What can we plan? What is the plan?

… what you buy for a makerspace except art supplies to celebrate

Nicole, Nicole what a faux pas! You never BUY a makerspace a present, you have to MAKE one!

@uglyknees, Do-ocracy the shit out of this. The PR Committee was semi-reluctantly the head of things like this in the past. That being said, PR is going in many different directions now. @KrissyHeishman is the current head I’m sure she would want to be some part, but I doubt she is wanting to run the whole event. The board in the past has given a budget for events like this as well. So, you’ll want to loop them in as well.

My two cents, open house/ DMS celebrations require things to do. VECTOR likes to help support open house by building an arcade somewhere in the building, last time we set up in the current art room. Also, @deezler Daryll DJed the last open house which was fun as well. Side note, Krissy is also a prolific DJ. @nickdangerous has some contacts in the local media that if you squeezed him I’m sure he would put you in contact with. @David_Walker is a social media guy as well as a DMS RC pusher, I would put money on him being willing to setup and promote an RC race aspect of the event. I would also try and rope in (@John_Marlow) Chris to setup a “small display” of her beautiful miniatures that she makes. They are incredible!!! DPRG is often up for making a showing, I talk to @JohnK to organize with DPRG. Also, we have a newer group of DMS, the RC Battleship Builders / Reinacters, I can’t remember the name of the guy running it, but they are a very special group of artists building scale models and setting them loose to attack each other. I think it would be super interesting to have them set up with a target to fire at and letting people shoot the bearing canons, in a safe and controlled way of course. @Brandon_Green and @dallasmagna (Chuck) could fire up the DMS race car and show off the work we did on it. Machine Shop could start a long running job on the HAAS mill and show it running all day. We could serve Freeze Dried winter berries from the freeze drier. @Lampy (Ken Purcell) and I are always up for showing off liquid nitrogen Ice cream, always a crowd pleaser.

@AndrewLeCody, could possibly tempt his awesomely talented wife Nicole to setup the photo booth so we could fill our DMS facebook with funny festive selfies. @Danny might be able to have a cool CNC plasma cutter thing cutting during the event. @AlexRhodes might be able to cover the CNC Router table with examples of items cut on it. @Gimli (Russell) could just show up and be sweet to all the ladies. :slight_smile: He is such a sweetie. Hopefully @Opcode (Richard Alexander) will have the Nitrogen Laser ready to show off, which opens up the opportunity of Jello Lasers! @publius (Chris Carson) I bet can be pushed to demo some cool radiation science or even cooler possibly mints some coins at the event. I bet the coins thing is really pushing it, I have no clue how big that setup is.

I know that is probably not enough to fill an event, but I’m tapped, and I hope tagging everyone in this post opens more eyes and more ideas. Hopefully that is what you wanted Nicole. :wink:

had to split the post I mentioned to many people. :smile:

You forgot to drop the mike as you walked off after that.

1 Like

Typically it’s a really big version of our weekly open house. We run tours all day, schedule short talks/classes and encourage members to bring out things to demo.

2 Likes

And hopefully not destroy facing mill bits during demos when lots of people are in earshot of me potentially yelling out an S-bomb or worse. To be honest, I’m not sure if I did or not, but it’s kind of a reflex at this point.

(Sorry in advance @bgangwere :smile: )

Completing the Nitrogen Laser is my top project priority, and I’m definitely hoping to have it completed by the end of June, with mid-June as my likely completion date. That would also give us time to figure out specifically how it performs and what we could do with it.

I’m hoping to have a few other laser projects done by September, too. If I can get time and assistance together, we could have an interesting laser display for the Anniversary. Of course, now that I’m heading the Science Department, lasers is just a small part of what we would do. I have some ideas…

Let’s make sure it doesn’t conflict with any weekend events… lots of festivals in mid/late September (Oktoberfest, State Fair of Texas, etc.)

VECTOR would of course be happy to place some pinball machines on site as we did in January. Now that the pillar room is dedicated to arts… any suggestions as to where this should take place for the next event?

1 Like

How big do you want this party to be? @AndrewLeCody
Do you want to blow it up and make it a festival.

I got no plans. By being makers we can make up whatever we want. (note, I am using the “Managerial We”, which now means Nicole).

September is the beginning of a wonderful time of year in Texas. Back to school and all that good stuff. Maybe a “BBQ & Do What You Do” in the back parking lot.

But that’s about all I know.

2 Likes

ooooooo we were typing at the same time

@BenjaminGroves / @Kentamanos / @AndrewLeCody / @AlexRhodes / @Robert_Davidson

So how old will the Makerspace be? In other words, what material should the gifts be made from? :slight_smile:

3 Leather
4 Fruits or flowers (an opportunity for Bio to shine!)
5 Wood
6 Iron
7 Wool or Copper
8 Bronze or pottery

Enquiring minds want to know! :smile:

1 Like

Just a couple of cute ideas that might get something started here is a pile of 3D printed shapes with matching female and male areas (I’m sorry I don’t know what they technical concept it) but just assorted and you were invited to make something out of the pieces.

2 Likes

Another idea I really felt was doable was making rockets with paper/assorted items on a table. I signed up to get the launching plans (I’m sure many of you already have or know how to make something like that) The outdoor mostly tape one was more successful. I can go further into detail via talking. Ideas were simple and really didn’t have many people to man the areas. I have lots of different ideas some grand some smaller - would love to brainstorm. I have some great ideas about the arts and how we can contribute to the event.

2 Likes

If you want rockets call in Dallas Area Rocket Society - DARS.org

I have some materials for that if you want to do builds.

1 Like

It would come down to what you define is the start of DMS but we got our 501c3 Oct 18 2011.

1 Like

@Robert_Davidson said:

It would come down to what you define is the start of DMS but we got our 501c3 Oct 18 2011.

Well then Fruits or Flowers it is! It is really time for those Bio folks to step up to the plate. The only appropriate gift I can think of for this would be Pie!

1 Like