Locksmith class? Willing to teach

I need to bring in a lone cylinder from my house so we can make a key for it.

indubitably.

1 Like

cool. Got a day in mind or does next weekend work for you?

next couple weeks are, unfortunately, going to be difficult for teaching classes. I’ll let you have the first round.

1 Like

sure thing.

Class scheduled.

Sat Apr 20 6pm — 7pm

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/11241

2 Likes

I’d love to take an automotive class! Anyone well connected enough to donate 20 used car doors? we could just take off the interior trim and that’s usually enough to turn them into test / demo models to my experience. i used to do car doors but success is mixed. if i had access to a junkyard i’d have my skills sharp again.

i could help with any hands on sessions as i ~used to do a lot of locksmithing.

1 Like

. accidentally repeated above info.

there is a dimple / scorch method to reverse engineer locks. it’s very tedious and if time is money just pick the lock and do a pin change out.

1 Like

let me see what I can put together for supplies. Do you have a time frame in mind?

awww man, looks like i found out about this a little too late- registration closed :cry:

Me too. Definitely interested in automotive locks, I’ve not tried any yet, master lock and quickset I’ve already learned to get through pretty quick.

a couple things to consider before we plan this.

1. I no longer have the tools I used to have. Beats me where they are. I’d have to buy a new set (~$250)

2. Gotta arrange for a handful of car doors from a junkyard. or at least permission to play around on some of the abandoned cars in the back lot :wink:

3. I’d need a day or two with the supplies to unrust my skills so i don’t wind up embarassing both myself and DMS.

Ok;

1. VCC has the funds, just need a bill of material and a commitment to do some honorariums to replenish what’s spent.

2. I’m hearing a committee/group outing :smiley:

3. Storage is a constraint but we can work that

@Josh_Bishop, @sayjoanna, and everyone else wishing to attend.

The registration thing seems to be a bug in the dms Calendar.

Class attendance is fully open, just show up and we’ll get attendance at the start of the class.

helk ya. stoked to hear that. i am a total newb, know nothing about this. are we supposed to bring a lock? anything else that would be helpful for us to bring considering we have no idea how many folks may show up?:unlock:

Bring what you like. A basic pick set and test locks will be provided.

Excited. I have a basic pick kit but have utterly failed at learning from YouTube. Will bring what I have to the class.

1 Like

I’ve got some neat stuff too bring if I can make the class.

If you want your own and a set of picks, they aren’t expensive