Lockable Storage

What do you think of the idea, if we get the new space, having some type of lockable storage for common use?

I know several committees have expressed want of it. I just thought I would throw this out there.

2 Likes

If we have more room we need to look hard at storage and different types of storage
From large project storage to smaller material storage

Some needs to be lockable, some needs to be close to a certain committee area ie: Clay storage near FA

It needs to be varying sizes, material storage for laser projects likely needs upright vertical storage, for FA,-clay,
and area the size of 2 boxes of clay, Glass may need a little different, jewelry needs small areas that can handle
a 12 x12 sheet of meta

Most of this needs to be PAID with the knowledge that after a month of not paying It will be disposed of Maybe with
materials going to the committee for teaching purposes or for community projects not to other members

One sort of crazy idea is to have the committee handle their material storage area with them
getting some of the money from it

2 Likes

how about a row of these? $20 / month.

g_753

5 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Secure Lockers for Testing Certification Site

No. Nope. Do not want. It’s another thing for a volunteer to have to manage and more keys/locks/combos and crap to keep up with. If it needs to be locked up and it’s personal property it shouldn’t be left at the space in my opinion.

6 Likes

then by all means lets do away with ALL project storage too. It’s personal property and is a bigger headache than lockers ever will be. Go with the lock only and a square kiosk is all it would take to manage (and a bolt cutter for those that miss payment).

2 Likes

And the more we move away from accommodating our members the more we move into having
customers instead of members

4 Likes

Once we have more room I’d like to see one or two of these in the machine shop area for committee storage of bar stock, etc. as it is, the teacher’s cabinet is full and there is no way to tell what’s been pilfered against the wall behind the haas.

3 Likes

You’re onto something there!

2 Likes

Note: This is committee storage not personal storage.

Metal storage is included Chris Marlow’s Expansion spreadsheet.

@nicksilva send me link. We can put on next Machine Shop committee meeting

2 Likes

those were from ULINE.
lockable storage

1 Like

Something as simple as 2x4 shelving with a 1x2 wood door frame covered in wire mesh (and mesh to separate the spaces) would be “good enough” and certainly a lot more economical than solid steel caged storage units. Will it look cheap? Maybe, but not if you do it right. Ideally these storage spaces are in a “storage room” and it isn’t visible to the greater space anyway. We could also create upright 4’x4’ closet-type spaces too.

this page has some ideas… http://liltigertoo.com/apartment-storage-lockers.html

#1 - we shouldn’t spend so much on the storage itself that it never even pays for itself
#2 - some visibility as to what is being stored is a good thing. Keeps dangerous materials, etc out of the storage units.
#3 - security isn’t what we’re after here. This just keeps “hands off” any paid storage area.
#4 - administration of these spaces would be MUCH easier than the free ones. You pay as long as you’re assigned a unit. You pay for the month in advance plus 1 month security deposit. You stop paying when you take your stuff out and give the space back. We move your stuff to the dumpster if you don’t pay and don’t have any more deposit to apply to rent.

3 Likes

Or we auction off the stuff to recoup lost revenue after a month of non-payment. If there is a charge associated with the storage, the rules change regarding how we have to handle abandoned materials.

Lockable storage will require someone to volunteer time to create software automation to manage it.

Not saying it isn’t doable … just seeking volunteer(s).

1 Like

just seeking volunteer(s).

Sounds like you have a committee full of volunteers that’s willing to make them work

1 Like

While yes for the first bit. But after a while those volunteers get burned out. I’d believe we would have to sweeten the pot.

Maybe first dibs on contents.

I believe @nicksilva was proposing this only as secured committee storage inside of Machine shop, for machine shop supplies - not for paid/project/member storage.

1 Like

No, that’s exactly the problem. Need volunteers to create the automation to reduce the workload on the volunteers doing the hands-on management - who get burned out quickly. Adding to that workload by creating paid storage is rapidly going to get out of hand unless we have some kind of automation to help with it.

5 Likes

volunteers to create the automation

by making them work that is exactly what I mean. After all…

1 Like

There are several types of lockers up for auction in Denton, ending tomorrow, and they might go cheap…
https://www.lsoauctions.com/category.cfm?sellerid=947896775&catid=947896775

4 Likes