Lock Sport Challenge

So… I’ve been thinking of making a lock picking challenge for DMS.

There would be a box and in it would be a prize. (Something like $10 of Laser time, $10 of 3D printing credit, … etc.) The prizes would vary month to month as the locks would get harder. At the end of it, the hardest lock would be guarding a Visa card with some cash on it.

What do y’all think about this? Any interest?

7 Likes

Some long way back there were some lock picking classes. Tools of the trade and techniques. Classes seemed to fade away shortly after relocating here. Don’t recall who taught. Resurrect???

2 Likes

Do we have ways of making lockpicks … I think that would be a great class too

I would be willing to do the challenge.

I’d also be willing to teach a class on it, but I don’t know when I’d get around to it.

@william_petefish @Team_VCC has a practice lock available for use on site and a copy of lockpicking manual available for classes on request. I can also bring my sets of picks in for use doing the class. Just name the time and day.

Do we have ways of making lockpicks … I think that would be a great class too

Yes, laser cut some spring steel then take a rasp to file to size and dip the handle side into some resin for grip.

Thingaverse has the picks stl files, bumpkey hammer, and bump key. Of course these are to be use for educational purposes only.

2 Likes

Really? I was told that our lasers don’t even cut aluminum foil
We would need a fiber

1 Like

Several years back, I made some lock picks out of steel pallet banding, using a metal nibbler and some jewelers files from harbor freight. Can’t say that I was ever good with them, but it was amusing.
More recently I have been playing with key impressioning and have had good luck with basic padlocks and an easy, kwikset, deadbolt. This can be done with the same set of jewelers files, extra fine sandpaper and a good light to view the marks. I would definitely be up for learning more about either process, or toying with the lock box challenge.

1 Like

If anyone is curious on the legality of bump keys
Legal in Texas, must show criminal intent
Texas Penal Code § 16.01 Unlawful Use of Criminal Instrument (a) A person commits an offense if:
(1) he possesses a criminal instrument with intent to use it in the commission of an offense; or
(2) with knowledge of its character and with intent to use or aid or permit another to use in the commission of an offense, he manufactures, adapts, sells, installs, or sets up a criminal instrument.
(b) For the purpose of this section, “criminal instrument” means anything, the possession, manufacture or sale of which is not otherwise an offense that is specially designed, made or adapted for use in the commission of an offense.

2 Likes

A locksmithing group would be interesting and fun. There are local and and national competitions.

http://www.lockpicktools.com/pick-sets/
http://www.longhornlockpicking.com/faq.html

1 Like

There are quite a few clear practice kits on Amazon that are 15ish bucks iirc

1 Like

Personally, the clear locks are better for getting the initial visualization than actually learning the feel. The one I have seems to be practically self picking. Though I ought to try the one that came in the last HackerBoxes, see if it is any better for actually having some feel.

Actual locks as practice can be found cheap on the clearance isles at HD, Lowes, or Walmart if you keep your eyes open.

There is a lot to be said for starting with good, but not thin picks. Also, spend the time to polish the corners of the shafts. If you don’t, the feel from the pins is lost in the feel of the sharp edges moving on the warding.

Sparrows usually get good reviews:

https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/

As does Southord:

It is a great way to work on feel and dexterity, but I haven’t ever been able to give it the time it deserves.

I did just confirm that the clear lock that came with this month’s hackerbox is equally devoid of feel. Apply light tension, pick a medium hook with the still serrrated shaft, simply lift and release each pin in order and it falls open. I’ve never tried it, but a single pass with any type of rake should open it.

Would it be wrong if I made it in to leave a note and an extra $5?

@kbraby we do have the clear lock in the VCC area, check the small white drawer where we usually keep the controller for the monitor.