Local cheesemaking supplies

Hi all. I’m starting the journey into cheesemaking. I can’t seem to find rennet, cultures, and molds locally available. Before I order from an online source, would anyone know where the supplies can be found in DFW?

And, if you have a favorite source for cheesemaking supplies, please share them.

Thank you.

3 Likes

On the off chance you might be interested, there’s a place in Waco that teaches all sorts of stuff about basic and old-school living, including cheesemaking:

3 Likes

@uglyknees and myself took a cheesemaking class at the Mozzarella Company. Fun and easy with more cheese to take home than you can eat safely.

2 Likes

@mblatz and @Lampy thanks for the class suggestions. I’ll keep them in mind.

I really thought there would be a local source for supplies. I can’t seem to find anything.

@Clayton There is a beer brewing store in west Fort Worth that sells a limited number of supplies. He has a couple of common cultures, rennet, calcium chloride, etc. I doubt he has any mold powders. Brewhound.

New England Cheesemaking is the most complete online source I know of, but there are certainly others. I think The Sausage Maker carries some things.

If you’d like to collaborate and perhaps even make cheese at the space, I have a Dutch style press and a few molds.

Also: I have rennet and a few cultures that are pretty fresh (last few months) stored in my freezer. I’d be happy to spare enough for a few batches of cheese to get you started. I think I have MM100 and at least one other.

If you haven’t found him, check out Gavin Webber’s YouTube channel: Cheese Making 101 - Basic Cheese Making Webinar - YouTube

1 Like

Not local, but CheeseMaking.com has a good selection and a handy recipes on their site as well.

I haven’t made cheese in a while, but homemade fresh mozzarella is easy and delicious. Fairly foolproof as long as you watch the temps.

Collin County Farm offers a cheese making class. You might want to reach out to them to see where they get their supplies. Another Collin County web link is farmerspal.com/organic-lifestyle.

There’s a Homebrew Headquarters store in Richardson on Coit.

I believe the homebrew store on coit is no longer there. I went to pick up some stuff for a present and they were permanently closed.

Thank you for the update.

Brewhound. Like I said :wink:

Thanks all. Brewhound is a bit far on the west side of FW. I gave up on local supplies and used cheesemaking.com. Well priced and found a coupon.

2 Likes

Not local, but the New England Cheesemaking Company is an excellent mail order/online resource. I used to get their print catalog.

I just got my rennet and culture from them. Probably making my first batch of feta this weekend.

4 Likes