List of ideas to reduce damage to tools in the Woodshop

One of the items I was going to implement is adding supervised machine learning to the RFID Interlock’s.

I would need trainers to review jobs and mark Yes/No on job periods until a good baseline was created for all equipment.

The intent would be an email would go out to review footage of suspected bad behavior.

1 Like

Yea I agree full time monitoring goes right along with some of these ideas, I understand the point of the post and it’s useful to stimulate conversation but realistic expectations of what can actually be implemented serves the greater good, more effectively than idea that just aren’t feasible in any sense or restructuring

1 Like

So has woodshop ever offered scheduled office hours like some other committees have done?

Just a scheduled window of time where someone relatively new to woodworking could come and know someone would for sure be there to answer quick questions?

I know some of the larger mentoring things above won’t be practical or would be more burden on volunteers, but office hour windows would be a smaller time commitment. There might could be folks that aren’t up to teaching a class but are skilled enough to recognize and redirect newbie woodworkers, reinforce some things like how to clean up after, etc.

I know for myself, I took the old classes, have vague idea of simple beginner projects I’d like, but I was chicken to go in completely on my own, so didn’t. And at the time I didn’t know people to ask.

But really, if I’d had a window where I knew I could get someone to just check me out that I’m remembering the right details from training class before I turn on something sharp, I’d have been all over that.

As it is now, I know people that I’d feel comfortable asking for help, but that’s very intimidating if you’re new.

And maybe the office hours thing has been tried and I missed it, but if not, it seems like it wouldn’t be hard to try it.

4 Likes

Dan

Thanks for distilling the comments and capturing the recommendations in a single thread. Starting the discussion will allow others to add comments and maybe some we have overlooked.

The second part of this is asking for volunteers to raise their hands and say I will help.

Give the thread some time and we can discuss the output at the next Woodshop Committee meeting.

Thanks Again for your efforts.

2 Likes

Excellent clear ideas and sensible list.

1 Like

@dwolf So in regards to Idea 4, I would love to help out. I actually was pointed to this thread by @jast from one I made about a similar idea: Woodshop Signage Ideas?

I’d be more than happy to help design signage for the woodshop, with an emphasis on it being highly visibly and less likely to be ignored.

@jottwell if you would like to collaborate on this with me I think we could make some really effective signs. I was thinking we could maybe get a shared document going on google docs so other can contribute/view.

2 Likes

Could we have a kiosk at some of the machines?
Phase 1,
Use it to log an issue. If you dont log an issue there should be repercussions.
Use it so if next user finds a problem we can get a good timestamp and what the problem is, use that to find previous users and time period for video review.
Phase 2,
Display critical job instructions at the machine of do’s and dont’s and require the user to acknowledge they understand. Acknowledge would be good for a short period like 1 day for users who have only started the machine x times, maybe longer for experienced users. Require new review of job instructions and acknowledge if the timestamp on the instructions is newer than the version acknowledged.
Display help for expected things like changing from ripping to crosscut tablesaw blade. Machine power would not be enabled till the instructions are acknowledged.

I didn’t write the software but speced software that does this on a critical process where I work. It took about 10 PDF files, some several pages long, with lots of photos, to explain the process.

When something breaks we need to understand root cause, it’s probably lack of training, carelessness, forgetting training, or abuse. Breakage and root cause should be reviewed at woodshop committee meetings to brainstorm preventive measures. A switch failing or bearing failing is expected. Abuse or violating safety is unacceptable.

2 Likes

If we do a kiosk, it would be great to also have access to the safety videos @Mrksls2 has been making. The first one is a comprehensive how-to video for how to empty the Felder.

1 Like

Maybe have a week long calendar posted with time blocks of an hour or two that experienced members could sign up for to help newer people. If no one needs help you can work on projects in that time block. Encourage new people to look at the board and find times that work for them to come in and have guidance on projects. Probably would be good to list specialties under the names such as lathe, multicam, cutting boards…

The calendar could be nothing more than telling new people when experienced members plan on coming in to work on their own projects.

3 Likes

We’re printing these aprons up right now for the woodshop. Idea is anyone who is comfortable answering questions while they’re in the shop can put one on, and that way skittish/shy members know that anyone wearing an apron is there to help out.

14 Likes

I try not to reply to many of these posts, but this is a good idea. Thank you.

add this into the tour group spiel. And maybe put some signs up around the space

1 Like

I dig the Riddler colors., lol!

1 Like

Another option for mentorship, which I also floated in this thread: Volunteer Spreadsheet/Email List? was possibly having a spreadsheet for people willing to mentor with their contact info/skillsets so people could reach out individually. It might be easier with busy schedules.

1 Like

@charlielong @jottwell - I worked up the attached PDF for the bandsaw. Like you, I think it is a great idea to have a one page guide attached to each power tool that might also include a link to the wiki for more information for things like fine-tuning the tool and more advanced techniques.Onesheet - Bandsaw.pdf (220.1 KB)

3 Likes

The appron idea I like and will be dawning one from time to time

2 Likes

Copying this from another thread:

I started up a google doc for what signage to include around the shop and on specific equipment. Anyone who wants to take a look and offer suggestions on what to add is more than welcome!

I haven’t gone through all the equipment on the list yet, but will be making updates throughout the week.

This is in regards to dust collection but yall think there’s any value to be gained by putting a strip of yellow vinyl or tape over the part of the blast gates that kinda dip down? The handle part? Make it stand out more vs just grey, so when you walk up to a machine it catches your eye to remind you to flip it open. The grey just fades into the background.

9 Likes

I think that would be a great solution. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but something that catches the eye would be great.

I’ve cut the vinyl for this, just haven’t applied it yet. Will do that…eventually.

2 Likes