Lines coming out wavey

I recently cut some ornaments on the tunder and some lines and circles came out wavy. It was only the lines of the star not the ones that go all the away across. Some of the circles dont look round too. What could be causing this they are straight in the software.

What speed/power settings were you running? I’ve had this same issue.

How small were your items? I’ll be there in 15m for a class and will stop by.

1 Like

it was 10% at 100mm/s

they were 3’’ across, I am not currently there I did it a couple days ago.

based purely on speculation, no evidence nor experience, could this be as simple as wood density?
Doesn’t really look like it to me, in that it doesn’t follow grain, but that’s what immediately struck me as a possibility…

Nope. I’ve run into the exact same issues a whole back when cutting plexiglass, which has no grain to affect the laser

3 Likes

I had wavy vector outlines on a small object. Turned out to be a speed issue. I dropped the speed significantly and lowered the power to prevent burn thru. Hope that helps.

It’s a speed issue combined with a belt issue. Try slowing down your speeds to help maintain the straight edges. We are going to work on the belt issue.

5 Likes

Belt tension is a funny thing. Get it too loose, and you get this. Get it too tight even once, and the belts start breaking down mechanically internally, and they will never stay tight enough again.

2 Likes

I used the Thunder laser a couple of hours ago with absolutely no problems. I don’t recall the speed but it was fairly slow.

1 Like

It’s a software error. The error patterns repeat. A belt issue would have random errors.

Only happens with Vector lines. It doesn’t happen with Raster lines, not even at 500mm/s.

The error is on the thunder side, not in the design file or RDWorks, as I have had files work, then generate that noise. Rebooting has helped some times.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue on my last cut. I sanded them but it assumed it was me

This issue came up after a member took it upon themselves to get rid of all the slack in the belts, and like Kevin said, this can kill them. Essentially they turn into rubber bands.

Has anyone used the thunder since this thread was open? Or verified if it is a machine or software issue? After reading this thread I’m not sure if a solution agreed upon

Saw a piece made tonight on the Thunder with straight lines.

It’s not a new issue. Just slow your speeds down a bit. It’s a belt issue. We have new belts and they will get replaced after the other new machines are installed

1 Like

Not necessarily. The design patterns repeat as well, so the head makes the same motions and puts the same sequence of strain on the belts. Makes sense to me that would create similar errors.

I used the laser at 7:30AM Monday which was 12 hours after the first post. No problems.