Lightsabers on the Lathe?

My 13 year old son has a bit of a fascination (obsession?) with lightsabers. I’m always looking for an opportunity for him to learn how to actually MAKE something vs. just buying it and was wondering if anyone has any experience making replica (not real ones, duh!) lightsabers out of aluminum bar or tube on the lathe. Seems easy enough, right? I’ll reach out to the electronics committee if we get to the point of putting light and sound in it.

I’d be happy to compensate someone who has some skills and interest in this who’d be available to spend some time on a project with him. (and me)

See http://ultrasabers.com for an idea of what he’s thinking… but we’d build something much simpler to start.

1 Like

I think @hon1nbo made one, however I’m not 100%. He may be able to give you tips on it.

I didn’t, but I chimed in on this guy’s project: Looking to mill something with the HAAS

Not sure what came of it in the end.

Turning something like that Ultrasaber wouldn’t be terribly difficult. You’d get the profiles and radial grooves on the lathe, then take it to the Bridgeport for the slats that run along the long axis. This is assuming you’re drilling a hole for the buttons and plugging them in, rather than trying to mill those into the piece which will be a lot of extra work.

Sherline too small for that diameter steel?

Technically it would fit, but it’s a lot of meat for those small chuck jaws. I’d stick with the colchester

1 Like

Before getting too lost in the weeds, would your son consider 3D printing it? It wouldn’t be as hefty but there are a lot of advantages in terms of ease of build.

Still, Aluminum has a big advantage in that you could powder coat it for a really slick look. There’s a guy who uses one of those crappy harbour freight 7x11 lathes (I have one so I know they are crappy) to make an aluminum saber so you could easily make it on the Sherlines. He also needs a small mill…( also crappy…I have one of those too). Doesn’t give plans but a good example… also has a place for the crystal. Just an example for ideas.

You will spend several hours on an aluminum version but its a great way to learn to use a lathe. Also quite a bit of time 3D printing but that’s mostly babysitting.

2 Likes

There is a guy down in Austin who has been making them for over a decade. His first one took a couple years to make but incredible attention to detail.
http://www.slothfurnace.com/

Checked out his site. Absolutely LOVE his ANH Obi “Epic Reveal” one. :heart_eyes: I absolutely love all the effects he has for it also. Wish I could build something that intricate!

1 Like

So here I am with a big bucket of cold water. 13? While I realize that this really is a good age to start learning, DMS has bowed to the whole “protect the minors” thing, and 16 is the youngest we’d let him use the tools, and that would be closely supervised by you (I just read the wiki for the details).

This is probably concern for liability. While schools may get a break on the whole “endangering a minor” thing, we wouldn’t. While I don’t have any official (like – I read the law) knowledge, the SCA was told by someone that it really was impossible for a minor/guardian to sign an effective waiver. The Texas Attorney General could swoop down and … … do Attorney General things to us if the office felt that we had in some way endangered a minor. Sue us? Shut us down? Effectively shut us down by sueing the pants off of us? I don’t know what powers they have, or how reasonable they might be. Granted, I have never read of this happening to any group that has kids in it, but many do consider it to be a credible threat.

So – he couldn’t be hands-on here. Would watching be good enough? Shifting materials a bit?

That might be a big point in favor of 3D printing. The kid could learn to model something and the wait around with dad while the parts are printing without any chance of injury

1 Like