Lights not working (in my car)

Hello all,

I recently bought a used car and have been having a bit of an issue. Randomly I will get a warning on the dashboard, saying that there is an issue with every single light in the car. Basically, a warning shows up saying “check left marker light” then another saying “check left brake light” until it has cycled through all of the lights. This happens randomly, and goes away randomly. I often can’t tell if there truly are issues with the lights because I am driving, and it happens randomly so I can’t check the lights when I’m pulled off the road. Does anyone have any insight as to what the issue could be? I want to do some research before I bring it in to a mechanic, but I’m having trouble finding the right info by web searching.

Thanks for any and all help!

What year / make / model?

It’s a 2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 2.5L

@TLAR your best guess

Chance,

A scan of your car with VCDS or VagCom will more than likely show the fault. This can be done at ZERO cost if you are willing to drive to Lewisville to a friend’s garage.

Or I can have him meet you at the Space some evening.

Just curious - but have any of your bulbs been swapped out for LEDs?

4 Likes

Hey TLAR,

I’d be more than happy to drive to Lewisville if your friend is willing. I should have some availability later this week after work hours. I’ll PM you my info.

Thanks!
Chance