Lift Speakers now available for use

Woah there, Im not trying to get him in trouble. I generally like his music. I just used him as an example because he is one of the more prevalent users of the radio.

Y’all are just clinging to the wrong part of the example like the honorarium thread with the math example.

In my scenario I was pointing out that a situation like this already happens and gets resolved without destruction of dms property.

@PearceDunlap

I apologize if my statement implied you were. I referenced you in the context of someone concerned about the music Tom plays in the workshop. It sounds like we are both describing the same thing, Yes Tom is one of those who commonly play music in the shop (though not the only one).

That said, Brandon has a known antagonism with Tom, and his adding a radio and seeking opinions about it remind me very much of some of his past passive aggressive behavior concerning Tom.

Responding that way seemed less sarcastic than trying to link to a psychology paper on why humans listen to music

Just because you perceive someone’s actions a certain way doesn’t mean that matches their intent. Perhaps you can politely take your preconceived notions and negativity out of the conversation and get back on topic. Also, apologizing before making an unfair comment doesn’t make it ok. But now really back on topic…

People usually like to listen to music while they’re working, but research looks mixed on whether it helps or distracts, and it likely depends on the type of music/sounds. Pretty much every time I’m at the space (which isn’t even all that often), someone in the workshop is playing music or videos on their phone, laptop, radio, something, at a level others can hear. Why are speakers a bad alternative to this practice? No one is encouraging blasting music at full volume. And I would rather not have my laptop or phone laying out in the workshop for fear of them getting broken by myself or another member. I think headphones would usually be preferable, but sometimes cords hang in the way or aren’t ideal when you’re working with others on a project. Speakers at a low volume sounds like a good option depending on the scenario!

@merissa. The four people who responded to your husbands request for feedback have already told him we find it distracting. Yet he his proceeding anyway. That says a lot, in and of itself.

Brandon said he thinks the speakers can be a benefit without being a distraction, and asked that feedback be provided if a distraction occurs. The feedback thus far appears to be opinion not based on actual experience of the speakers in use. And the comments were received with replies provided. Does that also “say” something to you?

I see you share your husbands ability to ignore others in your zeal fo doocracy.

Thanks for those kind words, trust me not a single one is ignored. Now can you get back on topic and share your experience of the speakers being used?

Well since you’ll are apparently going to be difficult about it, we can let the members give you their feedback directly.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Regular_Member_Meeting_20161208#New_business

Great! Comments are helpful and the whole point to see how the system is working!

Can we also talk face to face about why you feel I am being difficult? Is pointing out that you made this about your perceptions and asking to get back on topic difficult? Sounds like intimidating people away from countering baseless comments.

Sure I whenever I am around (which will not be much before Sunday) I am willing to talk. But I disagree it is about my perceptions, rather then your husbands history. Never the less, before that topic you had multiple people explain that they found loud music to be distracting, yet you’ll are pursuing an installed and wireless system to facilitate such loud music. And no one seems willing to provide any reason for why. Anyone who wants to listen to music can put on a pair of headphones and not disturb anyone else. I do this myself when working on Electronics projects.

3 Likes

Someone softly played classical music the whole time I was at DMS yesterday and I found it very pleasant.

Playing “Barbie Girl” may have yielded a different result.

Machine shop seems to be worried about noise when they are doing intricate and honestly dangerous stuff in that area. Do I need to remind anyone of the lathe incident? That area takes your entire focus, so I get that they are reticent.

Would I be crazy in hoping we could just turn off the music when someone asks and pretend we are being excellent to one another?

2 Likes

My problem with chrome cast style speakers is WHO do you ask? The FACT is that we have multiple members who think passive aggressive crap (like blasting music, making messes, etc…) are funny and a good way to cause trouble for other members. Even if that is not the intent for these speakers, they provide an ample opportunity for such shenanigans. Given the insistance on their installation, I suspect we are going to see yet another needlless rule on a board agenda; “No music played out loud in the workshop” and all those who have behaved reasonably in the past will have to suffer for the few who can’t.

3 Likes

@wandrson what’s wrong with this response if you can’t determine who to ask?

I see multiple problems.

1. Turning off someone’s music is going to be perceived as rude and confrontational. It will create conflicts. And given the childish behavior of so many of our members I can see a turn off, turn on sequence getting going.

2. If I talk to the person, they understand WHY I need it to be quieter and are less likely to turn it on our louder – unless they are one of the ever increasing assholes we seem to be attracting.

3. MANY of our members are very uncomfortable with even the possibility of conflict, so are more likely to simply tolerate the noise and perhaps hurt themselves while working on some very dangerous equipment.

All to prevent people from having to wear a pair of headphones.

2 Likes

Can we just treat this like anything else? If you’re a nuisance someone can make a formal complaint, and if everyone is fine, no rules or kerfluffle needed?

Just don’t be jerks about stuff

1 Like

One should never have to ask someone to turn down or off the music. I would hope people would have some common sense about what their doing and have respect for others.

If you need to have some music playing while working … I would suggest investing in some nice earbuds / headphones (wired or wireless) and go about your own business!

7 Likes

I agree with this thought. We have a lot of immature members who won’t deal well with someone walking in and just turning off the music. Which is probably what I would do if I just couldn’t focus. I don’t want to go person to person to ask who is playing music. This kind of just feels like a weird social experiment forced on unsuspecting people.

I’m not opposed to them but the B.S. that will probably happen oven the next few weeks will be interesting to watch.

4 Likes

THIS!!! THIS is why we don’t need a speaker system for music purposes.

6 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more.

Because this:

is incredibly rude unless it is inherent to the activity (i.e. dance clubs will have music).
Then there is the notion of “reasonable volume”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTmgBsMMrs
not mention “acceptable content”…
https://youtu.be/AYQs2rRnJYY?t=180
(potty humor warning)

Bluetooth headphones solve this quandry.

So it appears we agree. Ditch the speakers.

2 Likes