Lift Reservation

I’d love to know more about Jack Junckies (and their apparent demise) because I think it’s an amazing idea and would have thought it would pop up all over once there were a couple of them around. Obviously, that didn’t happen. I’d like to hear directly what happened (we can all speculate; some of us would likely be right).

Mybay in Denton is the only self-service garage in Texas, as far as I know.
Their website (www.mybayauto.com) is expired, but as far as I know, they’re still in business, and you can still DIY there.

DMS is not a tool rental facility.

3 Likes

@snaps I think it’s fair to say that if you can somehow get your jeep suspended by the crane, with the motor being raised by the lift, while simultaneously using all the floor jacks to manage the balancing act of the droppinfg suspension before anyone else gets there Sat morning, that it’s all yours until the job is done. :joy:

P.S. - Someone please post that footage to youtube. :popcorn::film_projector:

I’m afraid I’m going to yank the wheel here and pull us way into the weeds…

What makes this the kind of project we can’t accommodate? If @JayJohnson600 wanted to put his car on the lift and remove the body from the frame by himself, that’s doable, right? As long as he can stay awake for the length of time it takes to do the work … (dammit where’s the smilies?)

I’m guessing it’s the “I need this tool at this time because I have a crew coming to help,” part. And I understand, no reservations of tools. I guess that makes us more of a “work on your stuff as a hobby and leave your deadlines at the door” kind of place, again I get it and it has sunk in on some stuff I have in my to-do list.

What if DMS hosted a “LeMons Work Day” in the Auto Shop - any members wanting to work on their LeMons cars for the Houson race could come up and work together to get their cars done? Members who have crews/teams/friends coming to help could plan for the time. And anyone that wants to come up and help wrench can come and go as their time and bloody knuckles allow? Maybe furthermore we could have it at a traditional lower-demand time for the lift. Would that be within the rules of an event and within the spirit of the space?

By the same token, what if DMS hosted an “Etsy Work Day” where all the Etsy sellers got together and booked out the table saws for the entire day?

6 Likes

Or a DMS members day where DMS members use DMS equipment all day. :joy:

Placing those sort of soft reservations on equipment for special interest groups seems like a slippery slope…

I’ll stick with my method of early mornings and late nights to ensure I have access to what I need when I need it. I can sleep when I’m dead.

11 Likes

@Adam_Oas

Ok ok point taken!!! :smiley:

1 Like