Lift Reservation

Is the event on the calendar to reserve the vehicle lift or A-frame crane? I’m asking because I was planning on dropping in my motor/trans/and tcase in my jeep this weekend using the large crane (not the vehicle lift) and need to know if I will have to wait.

We don’t have any kind of reservation system, the lift/gantry is only first come first serve. The best that can be done right now is just ask around on Talk if anyone else is planning to do anything big, but there are no guarantees.

I do know that @JayJohnson600 is planning on doing an engine swap on his miata starting this saturday afternoon, but its just whoever gets to the lift first.

1 Like

Well there is a calendar event that seems to be placing a reservation on the lift from 10am-4pm Saturday.

2 Likes

@Team_Calendar Can someone delete this, it should not have been created

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2216

10:00am Automotive lift for project work
When Sat Apr 8 10am — 4pm
Where Workshop - Automotive
1825 Monetary Ln #104 Carrollton, TX 75006
Details Need to reserve the lift for body-off project work

2 Likes

Cancelled. Reservation of tools is not allowed.

Edit: except for classes.

6 Likes

Not trying to piss in anyone’s cornflakes, I was just wondering if the crane would be available Saturday.

@JayJohnson600 PM me and we can work out the logistics of us both doing engine work this weekend

3 Likes

How do I get added as a Calendar Administrator? The fact that this got through means that we need more; it sat there for two days without anyone spotting the problem.

2 Likes

I have people planning to drive up to 3 hours to come assist with the work.

Now that I cannot reserve the tool for this through the most reasonable and appropriate channel available, I’ll have to tell them there is possibility that we will not have access to the tool.

I will cancel their travel plans, and do what I can. I don’t want to risk their travelling up to 6 hours with this much at the DMS going against it.

Jay, I’m sorry if there has been a misunderstanding.

The Digital Media Room is the only exception to not allowing reserving a tool for private use. And that is only because the “On the Air” sign alone was apparently not good enough to keep people from barging in to a recording session.

There is current some debate about whether reserving rooms for private events should be allowed. We are more likely to go with no private events than to allowing tool reservations.

3 Likes

Not completely accurate. The reservation of digital media room/equipment was also due to facilitate the large group that could be summoned for the usage. It can take many people to work on a project there. 2 in front of the camera, 2 behind the camera, editor, director, and techs, for project work and not a class.

It just didn’t seems right that a group of many people as in the above example could be put off due to chance of some other prior use(first come first serve) of room and tool use, without scheduling and reserving.

This happened a couple of times, and that is the reason I encouraged using the calendar for digitalmedia project work when I was in the role some time ago, not just simply the sign and adherence issues.

Bill, no need for apology, I understand what I am faced with as a member navigating rules/bylaws/policies to get my projects worked on at DMS, or simply utilize the facilities.

It is up to me to struggle to maintain value for my membership at DMS.

I can cite multiple examples in multiple areas where the “no reservation of tools, except for classes” has been over-ridden and/or allowed. No need to draw attention to that,

Would it be worthwhile to make a thread letting people know your plans for working on it? Not the same as the reservation but a more like asking folks to work with you due to the fact that you have people coming in specifically to work on this from a distance?

6 Likes

It would still be the right to prior usage to put off the entire group that is travelling 3hours to come assist me. This is the position of the chair and the board for tools, although with exceptions they approve.

and not all members read through the talk forum.

My work activity was thwarted last weekend due to a 5hour A/C charge activity, on the lift.

6 hours(to and fro time) is too much drive time for people who are volunteering their time to come assist, without having the reservation in place.

Thanks for the idea/interest, but there’s just too much going against this at the DMS to put my contacts at risk of burning up their time when they are trying to help me out.

1 Like

I certainly understand your frustration and Iyour desire to make sure your friends are not wasting their time. I was hoping to offer an idea that worked with in the scope of the guidelines. Good luck with your project

2 Likes

If the lift is able to be reserved for a class, and non-members are eligible to take classes at DMS, I think your solution is in front of you…

1 Like

I don’t think he’s an approved lift trainer yet though Tom Tansy or Brandon would be the ones to approve that (not sure if Tom is chair effective immediately or what)

1 Like

I started this thread to ask if @JayJohnson600 would be using the lift as well as the crane or just the lift. Never intended to kick anyone’s events off calendar or cause any other issues. My question still has not been answered.

Tom is not chair until the board ratifies the nomination.

If it is structured as a lift class, the $50 fee and DMS membership requirement holds.

If it is a just class on repair techniques which just happens to use the lift, just don’t be abusive about it. Demonstrate useful skills and allow interested DMS members to attend. Do not require instructor approval and do not ask for honorarium. In other words, be excellent and maintain a low profile.

1 Like

The doors we open and the doors we leave closed are equally important. @JayJohnson600, while this Miata project might not be possible without reservations on tools I think it takes us down a road we don’t want to go down. Somewhere there’s a limit to the kinds of projects we’re able to accommodate and this seems to be at the limit for various reasons. Something like this might be more what you’re looking for.

http://www.jackjunkies.com/bayliftrates.html

5 Likes

Unless this is erroneous, that won’t do much good…

2 Likes

Whoops. Yeah, I missed that part.

2 Likes