Lift: Maximum curb weight 7,000 pounds?

The rules on the wiki page state “Maximum curb weight 7,000 pounds” for the lift.

However, in the lift class that I took, I think it was 6,000 pounds? It was less than 7,000.

Is the wiki correct?

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Automotive_Committee

Also, if something requires training can be locked up but has to provide documentation on how to get training and should happen at least once a month.

What is in the locked cabinet and does any of it require training?

1 Like

The sign on the automotive lift says 6000 and the training documents chuck wrote say 6000.

2 Likes

What does the plate on the lift say?

@TLAR ?

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Documenting how to get training

I was just asking what was in the locked cabinet and if training was required.

1 Like

The lift is rated at 7000 pounds per the manufacturer

Chuck’s information is incorrect - the Lift’s Manufacturer’s rating stands - it is 7000 pounds

The erroneous labels on the lift are no longer present.

4 Likes

Draco,

There has been conflicting info on the lift and other “features” about the space on tours etc - it is a volunteer organisation.

What do you plan on putting on the lift that may tip the scales at over 6k?

1 Like

I’m going to be getting a larger truck and the manufacturer says the weights are 5,685 to 6,712 lbs

2 Likes

Also, the sign on the lift, I do believe does say 6,000. I don’t know if it is something we put on it or it is from the manufacturer. This could be part of the issue.

1 Like

When in doubt anyone with $11 can drive their vehicle over the certified CAT scales at any number of “truck” stops in the DFW area and get an accurate printout of what their vehicle actually weighs.

My Unimog driving nephew did that and found out his 1987 Umimog tipped the scales at 11300 pounds . It barely fits in the door at the Space.

P.S. The locked locker door contains committee storage. per the label that is on the door.

1 Like

I thought I had removed all of those signs - if you happen to see one - please remove.

1 Like

The bolts holding the lift to the floor are not up to the lift manufacturer specifications. If 6,000 pounds has worked thus far I wouldn’t push it.

Is that your opinion or is that based in any fact?

If it is a fact - I’d like to see the documentation that supports it

The manual for the lift called for torque pretty far beyond what the bolts were rated for. The bolt package said 120 foot pounds or something like that and the lift manual said torque to 150 foot pounds or something like that. If I recall correctly the bolts were torqued to the maximum on the bolt package rather than what the lift manual specified. I was there for most of the install which is how I came across this.

If the lift gets relocated during the expansion we should seek the proper fasteners ahead of time (beefier than what Home Depot had).

5 Likes

I didn’t say 6,000 pounds was safe. I said I wouldn’t push it. I don’t disagree with what you said. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Okay so now the question is thus:

Who decided it was safe to use fasteners with a rating below the lift’s required specifications, and on what basis did they do so?

Personally, I’m willing to arbitrarily exceed ratings because of various engineered overhead in most applications, but I’m less comfortable with leaving that up to someone else in this kind of setting. Not that I necessarily imagine my own 3000lb cars will exceed the specs of bolts large enough to bolt a lift to the ground, but if people are rolling 6-7000lb trucks onto the thing, someone else could have a bad day, and that’d ruin it for the rest of us.

If it leads to injury, it may very well be the end of DMS.

When it comes to mechanical anchors (which I am guessing these are), they typically fail in this type of loading by pulling out – not yielding or breaking of the anchor. Either a cone of concrete around the anchor breaks, or the “grip” isn’t enough and it slides out (usually due to insufficient torque or other failures during installation, or manufacturing defects).

I don’t know anything about this particular install. If I we’re doing it for myself, I would have figured out the load rating the lift manufacturer was designing for and then find an appropriate anchor. The lift manufacturer was probably stating the torque rating of the anchor bolts included in the original package. Virtually any size anchor of any type can be found locally somewhere, but Home Depot does have some surprisingly large anchors all considering.

1 Like

Enter a “yo mama” joke here…

3 Likes

Or you can go to a scrapyard

Let’s order and replace the bolts. The lift sees a great deal of usage. Let’s fix.

2 Likes