Lift install Saturday Aug 22nd @ Noon

Install went well, a big thanks to all the people who helped out. We still need some hydraulic related pieces, plus there will be electrical run, and then a training class scheduled, so we are getting closer, but no one should expect to be able to use it immediately

3 Likes

Allen says we need a “sacrificial car” rolled in to gauge lift placement

And Brandon tirelessly makes sure the safety stops are working

2 Likes

Lift is looking good.

The Jaaaag is, too, Sunny!

More pics with the hood up, eh?
(Maybe in a different thread, tho) :smiley:

The ordered parts will be here soon, so will try meeting again on saturday (August 29th) at noon to hopefully get the lift fully operational

1 Like

The motor is missing the capacitor and the cover, and the coupling. We have the coupling on order (the correct one, we hope).

I got a start capacitor from Tanners (100 mfd, 250 volts, $4.95). this is a guess, but is seems about right. Maybe some of you scientists and engineers can calculate what it should be (208 volt, 1 phase, 2 HP, 3450 RPM).

Had to wing it with the cover for the capacitor:

Yup: capacitors give you wings!

3 Likes

I hope that is not the motor from the old air compressor. It nearly started a fire on us, while testing it one evening.

@Robert_Davidson
@Kentamanos
@bgangwere

I think that one was green?

It isn’t possible to calculate exactly without knowing the inductances of the primary and start windings and the ratio of the turn count between them. 100 uF was the estimate I arrived at based on industry rule of thumb. Fortunately the value isn’t highly critical as it would be for a run capacitor. We can adjust it up or down if the motor needs more or less starting torque. I did find it rather silly that I couldn’t easily find what value the manufacturer specified.

@benemorius The manufacturer may need to be contacted if a very specific capacitor is needed. Which it is unlikely.

@dallasmagna if the Red Bull Mod is not too powerful, then you more than likely just solved any starting issues the motor might have had. Unless it IS too powerful, then it could cause the motor to torque itself off the lift and punch a hole on the side of the building. The Fire Marshall won’t be happy.

…X…

How sure are we that this is actually a start capacitor? Far too many people confuse a run capacitor with a start capacitor because many motors won’t start without the runique capacitor. To be a start capacitor, it must be one of two capacitors on the motor, and there must be circuitry or switching to remove the capacitor from the motor once it is started.

I’m certain. I opened the motor up to find a centrifugal switch in series with the capacitor.

3 Likes

Still have lots to tweak and finish up for install, but its looking good so far

6 Likes

It’s flying!

Maybe we could chromakey the posts?

Brandon,

Your install of my old lift looks great!

1 Like

So what’s left to do? I could help out this Sunday or Monday

We are working through arranging the electrical install, after that it will be fully operational and we just need to schedule the first training class.

Fabricating an actual lever for the safety release and a cover for the starting capacity on the motor would be good for someone to help out with.

1 Like

Using the funds from the first training / lifetime lift usage fee we finally got in the plastic covers for the safety latches along with both 1/2" and 1 1/2" blocks to use on lift.

7 Likes

So they can be stacked to obtain a 2" height off the lift platform? Taller ones similar to this would be advantageous
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Thick-Vehicle-Support-Blocks-VSB-W-Short

Stacking the blocks is not advised, we can order taller ones if needed

Thanks, let me try with these and see how much clearance there is between the rocker panels and the platform.

While 4" will be nice to have access to remove the rocker panels, that may mean that I have to scoot a jack underneath first to get the clearance required to get the pad in between.

In case you’re wondering what this is about, my 993 has one of its oil filters located a few inches above the rocker panel, see pic

2 Likes