Lift install Saturday Aug 22nd @ Noon

If anyone would like to help supervise, we will be meeting to assemble, test, and hopefully install the lift that @tom donated.

https://www.flamingoshopserv.com/portals/2/news/partsbreakdown/rotary%20spoa10%20install%20manual.pdf

3 Likes

It’s just like assembling Ikea furniture…

1 Like

That is troubling. I read a report where there was a percentage of IKEA customer base that buys more and more furniture and cannot ever assemble it. The article made it seem like an epidemic.

…X…

With all the stupidity I encounter each day, especially given the multiples of little stupids I see the big stupids dragging around, coupled to the phenomenal stupidity of the “universal pictorial instructions” employed by Ikea, I would say it IS an epidemic.

2 Likes

Following instructions with detail is an art form that most people aren’t skilled at, for me it’s job security.

When did you last check out IKEA instructions?

They are NOT instructions, but pictograms by satan!

3 Likes

Great, anchors, masonry bits etc. purchased?

@Brandon_Green would have to answer that.

But if I had to guess, I would say that is the reason he is calling the initial meeting; to figure out what would be needed. -hopefully I am wrong.

…X…

RTFM is always advisable, but sometimes there’s no “M” to “R” and often it’s not even close to “F” (“F” stands for “Fine”, right?).

After initial inspection and parts layout will be headed to home depot/etc to pick up what we need.

1 Like

I think @Brandon_Green forgot to mention that those who show up and perform substantial work get the “training” required to operate the lift for free :innocent:

Count me in

1 Like

Install went well, a big thanks to all the people who helped out. We still need some hydraulic related pieces, plus there will be electrical run, and then a training class scheduled, so we are getting closer, but no one should expect to be able to use it immediately

3 Likes

Allen says we need a “sacrificial car” rolled in to gauge lift placement

And Brandon tirelessly makes sure the safety stops are working

2 Likes

Lift is looking good.

The Jaaaag is, too, Sunny!

More pics with the hood up, eh?
(Maybe in a different thread, tho) :smiley:

The ordered parts will be here soon, so will try meeting again on saturday (August 29th) at noon to hopefully get the lift fully operational

1 Like

The motor is missing the capacitor and the cover, and the coupling. We have the coupling on order (the correct one, we hope).

I got a start capacitor from Tanners (100 mfd, 250 volts, $4.95). this is a guess, but is seems about right. Maybe some of you scientists and engineers can calculate what it should be (208 volt, 1 phase, 2 HP, 3450 RPM).

Had to wing it with the cover for the capacitor:

Yup: capacitors give you wings!

3 Likes

I hope that is not the motor from the old air compressor. It nearly started a fire on us, while testing it one evening.

@Robert_Davidson
@Kentamanos
@bgangwere

I think that one was green?

It isn’t possible to calculate exactly without knowing the inductances of the primary and start windings and the ratio of the turn count between them. 100 uF was the estimate I arrived at based on industry rule of thumb. Fortunately the value isn’t highly critical as it would be for a run capacitor. We can adjust it up or down if the motor needs more or less starting torque. I did find it rather silly that I couldn’t easily find what value the manufacturer specified.

@benemorius The manufacturer may need to be contacted if a very specific capacitor is needed. Which it is unlikely.

@dallasmagna if the Red Bull Mod is not too powerful, then you more than likely just solved any starting issues the motor might have had. Unless it IS too powerful, then it could cause the motor to torque itself off the lift and punch a hole on the side of the building. The Fire Marshall won’t be happy.

…X…