Lewisville Soup Jan 17th 2020 - Now taking applicants!

Do you have idea that will somehow better the city or a group within Lewisville?
Are you willing to pitch this idea to an audience of like-minded city members?
Would you be ok with a potential bonus of winning a small amount of bonus funds?
Well I gotta deal for you, listen up!

I run a small micro-finance dinner called Lewisville Soup. This concept has been birthed out of Detroit Soup. It’s about community driven change.

The deal:

You come to a pot luck dinner. You drop $10 cash in a bucket at the door. You bring a dish to share. You hear (or potentially pitch) an idea that will better the city or a group of people located within the city. Vote on the idea you like best. Eat and talk with new friends. I go count up votes. We give the door proceeds over to the winner at the end of the night. Everyone cleans up and we leave. It’s small, dynamic, community driven, about people over politics, about small changes, it’s honestly awesome.

TJ Gilmore said “Art. Service. Event. Business. One off idea. You name it. Come tell us about it, meet other Lewisvillians. Have a tasty supper. Make our city stronger.”

I’m currently taking applications for the next soup January 17th at the Hedrick House and I think either you or someone you know might have an idea gestating.

Here’s a link to the application – it’s 7 questions

Here’s a link to the facebook group

1st soup $570 was awarded to Veterans Produce (Community Aquaponics for Homeless Vets) who applied: Lewisville Blessings Bag, LISD science demos aka @Lampy , and a student group Point Short News

2nd soup $430 was awarded to Painted Rocks Who applied: Point Short News (again), Go Venture, Salvation Armies Community Garden Improvement Project

3rd soup $300 was awarded to B-Bands an anxiety reducing jewelry company who applied: Universal Design for Inclusion, and Making Lewisville better with Science (DNA testing) aka @Josh_Melnick

4th soup- Coming up! Could be you.

Please feel free to reach out for questions. I’m having trouble finding applicants so please share this with a do-er shaker or maker that you know. As you can see the amount of people pitching and attending are both shrinking and I just don’t know how to light the fire under people.

2 Likes

How about a course on Machine Learning for high school students?

2 Likes

Ya, why not. Iron out some of the details like a place and knock the vision out of the park

2 Likes