Lewisville Soup - community microfunding event

My son and I attended a Lewisville city council meeting tonight. I (officially) was granted a waiver to use a city use facility for free for an event I’m calling Lewisville Soup. I was granted the ability to hold this event quarterly. The first one will be held Friday April 12th (oh I assure you I’m aware of the tight deadline and it’s freaking me out).

In short, I’m stealing the concept off Detroit soup, community comes together and puts some money into a bucket. Speakers get up and talk. The community votes at the end of the night. The winner takes home all the money to (hopefully) complete the project. It’s community sourced micro funding and it’s a beautiful concept that hopefully will be successful.

If you’re interested in attending please join up here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1967394373570281/?ref=share

And ya it’s facebook. Right now it’s all I have. Things will get more formal if it’s a successful night. Lewisville residents are the only ones allowed to pitch ideas but everyone is allowed to attend and support the concept and participants.

Anyways this is one of many plates I have in the air at the moment. Why I do this to my psyche I have no idea. I would much prefer a nap.

Feel free to ask questions or poke some comments around. I’m thrilled this is happening.

8 Likes

Here is the link to the google form to submit a proposal:
Due March 29th

Here’s an article about the event if you’re still curious and or wonder what it’s about and or are interested in the concept.

Is there an online way to donate money to the cause?

You’re so sweet!

This is what I need for the event:
A roll of brown paper from Home Depot’s paint section ($10)
About 5-6 soup ladels, salad servers, stuff like that from the dollar store ($10)
Disposable silverware and bowls ($20 or less)
A tray of cookies from sams ($20) or someone to make a ton of cookies
I have soup being donated from companies and community members
I have salad being donated from one company
Bread - I was just going to buy French bread at Walmart ($15)
Nametags, buckets, napkins, tiny little clothes pins (dollar store $5)
I have a projector that I’m going to borrow for the event

This is what I would like to have for the event but it isn’t vital:
Lasercut a cute award for the presenters at the soup and an award plaque for the winner ($10)
Center pieces - pinterested some ideas that will be free
Lots and lots of spectators
Some form of a small stage would be cool but it’s a bunch to ask
If someone would like to come out an play an instrument as people come in that would be totally cool
A speaker/simple mic @Adam_Oas could I borrow one

I’ll get a very small go-fund-me going for like $150 I was just going to pay for it out of pocket - but it would be nice to have support from people to make this happen. But if anyone has things they already have and can donate more power to this event - that’s totally my style.

Right now, my main focus is grand ball. It’s a massive special needs dance happening this Saturday. It’s taking up all my mental energy and time right now (literally up at 4 thinking about it). After we put that beast to bed I’ll be able to go full tilt on soup and soup related needs. I’m so excited!

3 Likes

Ok I made a gofundme tonight.

1 Like