Lets build up some cars and have a class - Drift Cars

So I’m trying to get an ‘in’ at the Mineral Wells site. I’m driving at a private event out there in just over 2 weeks and will be getting at least a little more info on what it takes to get it reserved. The rumor is that you actually have to pay by MAILING CASH to them and then they’ll talk. It’s apparently a very cloak & dagger kind of thing.

2 Likes

@dallasmagna & @JayJohnson600 had made inquiries previously(Q3/Q4 2018).
It was mentioned that they needed renters to get insurance for the day.
Didn’t get to hear what the insurance would have cost.

Yeah, I think that they were going through some strange times there. I’ll report back what I hear after the event on the 20th.

I got you. Will this suffice??

1 Like

You might end up in Folsom Prison if you tried.

Some drifting action elsewhere.

Dredging up an old topic here that I promised that I’d follow up on!

I AM very much moving forward with getting us a day to run the Mineral Wells Ring!

I’m on the “driving instructors” list now, and have broached the subject with the guy (that I know) that organizes track days out there. He’s got a bunch of events planned already, but may be able to squeeze in a day for Makerspace members sooner or later.

4 Likes

Anything I can do to help?
I can teach basic performance driving, and getting started in drifting to those who’ve never done anything before.

At Chuck’s request, we’re going to try to discuss it all at the Motorsports meeting this evening. Good reason to show up tonight!

4 Likes

I would posit that you would have a rise in interest if you made it a combo drifting / HPDE track day. I’m not interested in drifting but would be more than happy to pay for a private day at a road course with some instruction.

2 Likes

Is there interest in building a project car?
It is not DMS owned, not street legal and not running currently, but might hold the interest of members that want to get involved.

1994 Mazda Miata, gutted interior
5.7L Aluminum block LS1 V-8 engine, fuel injection
Have a few cam shafts to option if desired
Twin turbo, t-25’s(or maybe they are t-28’s), twin coolers
PowerGlide transmission(but may option other transmissions)

The big spend is done and the engine is mounted, now need to tie it all together and button it all up. I’m sure there will be a few challenges to overcome here and there, but nothing insurmountable for a group interested members. It just takes consistent efforts over time. There is a lot of info for LS1(LSX) conversions on the web. I can bring the project car to DMS most any weekend for tinker with.

This conversion will not take well to traction without a lot of upgrading in the back end, so would be better to just run a hard compound tire and use it as a slip and slide. Nice for Mineral Wells, or suitable abandoned warehouse.
Will look at upgrading the back end parts after the project is up on its feet.

If there is interest in this project, we can meet up in the Thursday 7pm Motorsports meetings, usually held each week. I’ll bring some pics of the project at this point to the meeting this Thursday night.

Jay Johnson

4 Likes

I know the 8.8 swap is common in those. Sounds like a very fun project.

I’m a mechanic , welder , builder , driver and new member to DMS trying to find some auto cross event info and came across your post. I’ve built a BMW e36 m3 with an LS swap and would really like to take it out to drift so if you are still active with this project please let me know. Maybe I could get in for a while? Either way if you haven’t finished the Miata yet and don’t mind having another hand wrenching, I am efficient with an air ratchet.
Thanks ,

• Boyce
2 Likes

So, at the moment, this is generally dead. The biggest reason is that the only cheap surface in the area is being converted from a large open space, to a drone training facility. We are exploring options for another space, but it’s going to be a while. The other spaces (TMS & LoneStar) are considerably more expensive, to the point that it takes a LOT of organization and participants to not loose a bunch of cash on an event. There ARE a lot of AutoX events in the area tho.

3 Likes

There was an drift event open to the public to watch, and drive yesterday at TMS organized by a Youtube channel.
How much do the AutoX events pay to rent parking lots? The space used for yesterday at Lonestar park is more than adequate.

2 Likes

Hi Boyce,

I am still in progress with the Miata LS1 TT.
I am at the space most weekdays after 5pm, and weekends.

Also, drop in on the Motorsports meetings most Thursdays around 7pm.

Jay Johnson

2 Likes

How funny, I have a 97 m3 sedan that I was going to LS-swap but the damn S52 just won’t die after 250k+

1 Like

Drive. Harder. You Must. The S52 is an amazing endangered species. The LSx swap is the best upgrade that I’ve done to my m3

1 Like

So like tonight Thursday. Will there be a meeting ?

Just butting in – probably not. DMS and most other gathering places are closed for Shelter in Place. I haven’t noticed Motorsports doing the virtual meetups that some committees are having.

1 Like