Let's build a bartop arcade (was: donate donate lcd for bartop arcade build)

LMAO. Not enough likes for this one.

1 Like

actually, a cocktail would be much more expensive, heavy, and a piece of furniture. i had one, a brand new ms pacman/galaga. my wife got tired of dusting it, and made me sell it. i sooooo regret that.

The bartop is nice, you can buy a stand at athome (aka gardenridge). i was thinking about using one of those barstool stands with a heavy base, take off the stool and put the arcade on it.

Iā€™m using solidworks 2014. The motivation for this design is to be able to cut all parts out of a standard sized 15.5 x 96" melamine shelf that I can buy at home depo for $16.97. A full sheet of melamine 3/4" is $35, and way too heavy for my interests. I donā€™t mind scrimping on size because i donā€™t want it to be a tank. And 1Player controls is good enough for me, hopefully I can still play 2P games like galaga etc, just have to figure out the software setup.

1 Like

I cut the prototype from Foam board and assembled it. seems the plan is solid, to use the 16" melamine shelf rather than a 4x8 sheet of mdf. Easier to cut with normal woodshop tools, only think left to do is CNC the sides.

1 Like

did you leave room for some fans?

The monitors kick out a ton of heat

Are you using the PI? cause your not leaving yourself a whole lot of space to work with.

You also need a credit button, and an exit button.

Need to thing about where you are gonna draw 12v for you marquee as wellā€¦

Base needs to be lengthened look like your buttons and jsticks are hitting the bottomā€¦

If you gonna use batons you might put 2 holes at the bottom so you can screw the batons to the CP from inside for a cleaner lookā€¦

plenty of space inside. iā€™m not putting the full monitor iā€™m taking the lcd out of the case and mounting it to the bezel. theres a large empty volume inside. my lcd has a 12v adapter. Theres enough room for a laptop or an xbox inside. iā€™ll design holes in the top for air vents and mount fans up there, or possibly in the back. I have the back designed to slide in from the top. Could also use magnets or hinge. Keep in mind, this is designed to meet my initial goals, not intended to meet everyone elses :slight_smile:

Are you going to be around some time this weekend or monday?

1 Like

Being a member of the arcade forums, i get itā€¦

Just throwing out ideas that iā€™ve come across, not take over your build, your at liberty to either ignore or use.

Itā€™s just to start conversations and discussions.

In my experience, if your gonna just do your thing just post the final output. You post step by step you leave yourself open to critiques and opinions.

I was there late last night, dont think the Mrs. will allow a double trip.

Iā€™ll try to make it out there on Monday, or Iā€™m supposed to have some MDF delivered to the space to start my updright, would like to go there on that day, to avoid a double tripā€¦

That job will be around 4 hours, so we could chit chat then, otherwise just let me know whats convenient for you.

Monday would be great and then I can watch the work done on your upright.

I enjoy the ideas! The nice thing about the cad program is we can tweak the design easily. I dont mind the critiques and opionions as long as they donā€™t mind the rebuttals :slight_smile: Iā€™ll spare the public the ongoing build. Of course the first one will probably be the worse one ā€¦

Came across this beauty while researching cabinets.

2 Likes

google crapmame.com

youā€™ll get moreā€¦

1 Like

nah i dont mind rebuttals at all, cause i do the same.

the comment just came off as shutup im doing what i want, donā€™t give me any extra ideasā€¦

i guess iā€™m just following the thread title, letā€™s build an arcade, so i thought the prototype you were showing was the group build, not your rogue build.

Iā€™m not saying dont show what your doing, but iā€™d let folks know the difference between the group and personal build so they wont comment like i did on the wrong one :grinning:

Lol no please dont shut up. That is just my rogue build i kinda hijacked the thread ā€¦ sorry. I meant it to entice others to see what the possibilities are.

anyone have experience with hyperSpin?

@wesley910 i do which one though the older version or the newer PITA versionā€¦

Not sure. I looking at also building one of these machines. I have an Xbox original and an extra decent PC laying aroundā€¦wonder which would be a better way to go. coin ops or hyper spin

gotcha,

Xbox would be the cheapest route to go, more bang for your buck. Itā€™s gonna play pretty much anything hyperspin would, minus the lightgun games.

Iā€™ll probably do a class on what you need to do get your xbox up and running.

Hyperspin is a bitch to configure, unless you look at SimplyAustinā€™s how to videoā€™s, or buy a drive off the net.

You dong a bartop or a fullsize?

I want to do full size. I have the space, and not really a counter to put a bar top

how many controlsā€¦

2plr + trackball + spinner?