Let's build a bartop arcade (was: donate donate lcd for bartop arcade build)

One thing to think about licensing.

If we are going to use roms and software that we don’t have explicit licensing for DMS, we should not to put that software on the DMS Jump Server as a resource for members. This is one of those things that protects the group. If you think you have the licensing, I would run it by Brooks to make sure it does cover your suggested use. These are the murky water we must walk, lets just make sure the parts that are linked to the DMS are on the up and up. What you do to your personal setups is totally up to you.

I agree with the roms part on the server, the software however doesnt need licensing, as its freely distributed by the creator. There is a CoinOps standalone version, which is just the frontend with no roms added. Same applies to the PI builds.

I’m not sure what will happen with the group builds, but to keep any doubt down, we will keep any questionable files as personal property. I’m in it more or less to learn, don’t care what happens to the projects afterwards. I’m pretty sure it wont get left at the space and will find its way into somebody’s home.

I think we should be ok if we keep things class based and on a learning level.

My original idea was to use the 60 in one Jamma compatible board which is fully licensed.

However there is a lot of interest in the other options too.

doesnt matter to me either way, i’d like to learn about the jamma boards too.

I guess we need to figure out a good time for everyone interested to show at DMS.

Nick is correct… no ROMS should be stored on DMS servers. Frontends, emulators, and open source software should be fine.

Not sure if VECTOR has a dedicated space on DMS file servers. Thus far, all of our content is on the Wiki and in Talk threads.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, everyone has space on “the file servers”, in which I am aware of a “committees drive” mapping and a “members drive” mapping. I believe these are openly available to anyone with a DMS login. Bear in mind, this also means anyone can see anyone’s anything (and probably delete it) stored thereon, so, y’know, don’t do anything stupid. I do not know if this is documented anywhere else, but here’s the info Lisa was kind enough to furnish on the JumpServer FAQ page:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ#How_can_I_access_the_Member_Storage_via_RDP.3F

If I understand properly how this all works, if VECTOR wants, but does not have a folder on the “committee drive”, they simply need to create one, and store stuff there (and make sure it’s backed up somewhere else).

It’s not that crucial, if there is a need to collect various popular frontends or emulators then this would be a cool repository.

I have a dump of all of the individual emulators, plus most of the popular frontends used for home arcade cabs.

Not sure if the space has a following large enough to merit making this happen. Cool ideas though

What I don’t understand is why isn’t there a legal way to buy roms? The only legal way is to buy a ROM board, then how would you prove you own the actual ROM and you’re just downloading a copy?

@themitch22
It is just one of those grey areas that money and piracy have made particularly difficult to clean up. Many of the old companies that own the IP have gone under, the ones that are still around don’t think the product is viable to market. It is a mess and seems not cost effective to fight for a legal way of handling roms. Just look out and make sure if you are possibly violating anything that you are not pulling the group in.

I’m definately all about keeping the space free from any violations.

2 of the 3 options require bunnies for testing, xbox and Pi.

I guess where i’m getting a little confused is what is our main purpose? If we are just building something for a knowledge base and not trying to profit from the builds should we be worried?

I mean there is a guy on youtube that flat out sells a drive with 4tb’s worth of bunnies in broad daylight.

Are said bunnies not even allowed in the space at all, even if they aren’t connected to any server etc. The parts will be supplied by members.

Dumb idea on my part about posting bunnies to DMS server…i lose cool points, but beyond that, being this is for a non profit learning experience. I highly doubt anyone will raise a stink.

However this is a group effort and these are my just my thoughts, we will have to come up with a decision that everyone involved is comfortable with, probably during the first meet-up.

Bottom line is game companies wont go after someone unless they can win something. You and me as individuals… Meh. Small fry. DMS as a legal entitie… Big target.

The goal here for me would be:
Build an arcade cabinet from scratch that I can keep.
Paint or decorate it
Hook up lcd, raspberry pi, power supply, RetroPie sd image and test. The Sd image comes with some public domain goodies to test with (zork, some dos games, Amiga emulator).
If it were pc based its easy to hook it up to internet and use Kongregate or free online flash games to avoid license copyright issues.

The rest is done off site at the users discretion.

Part 1 : We could charge a class material fee to cover the cost of building the cabinet for each interested person and come up with a bill of materials they can order on their own.

Part 2: after the electronics and buttons are received we have another class to do the build.

I was just replying to Mitch,
I’m not trying to stop the build, there is a ton we can do at Dms without running into any legal b.s. We can build the case and gather the hardware and choose the software platform’s maybe even make a Rom free installer. Just keep the sourcing of rooms out of the official class.

There isn’t a need to get upset, these are the things we need to do to protect Dms. If you want to sell hard drives of illegal roms, I won’t stop you. If you want to build a free repository of illegal, that is cool. Just make sure it is separate of Dms is all I’m saying.

Another approach would be to reverse engineer the ROMS and make the replacements available in the Public Domain. Basically you just rewrite the game progrtam. Might be worth considering…

Hey fellas,

This isnt an argument its a discussion to surface ideas and any concerns. No one is upset, or saying we should do one or the other.

I dont want @thetazzbot 's simple request to turn into a debate over legal vs. illegal files at DMS.

My thoughts are that if DMS does not source the files it is not liable. There is no way any entity can police and or be liable for what each member brings into the building. If someone brought a personal prototype to show at the space as a demo, it shouldnt be a problem, DMS didn’t provide the materials nor source the files in the build.

This isn’t a file sharing project, its a how to project.

So maybe we bring in our ideas to show and tell, and use that knowledge to collaborate.

As stated the shell and the frontends, electrical guts and config have nothing to do with bunnies, bunnies are the easiest part of the whole process. So that can be left to the owners of the cabs to source outside of the space.

Honestly we probably just need to meet up and talk in person, so this thread doesnt get derailed by mis-interpreted replies and suggestions.

This is what will be needed for for a full 2plyr setup using the PI. 22.00

even cheaper is this…but from china 9.00

alternatives to using the minimus/ kade encoder. This is an universal encoder but has limited stock in the UK. if someone want to go in with me to buy a few, that would be cool, i can explain versatility at the meet-up. I also have the PCB files for the expansion boards to hook up arcade controls too.

Open source loaded software, that allows you to load configs for multiple consoles and mame configs.

Wow, my post from my iphone has all kinds of auto-correct errors. Damn phone keyboards. :smile:

I’m still all in for the build, as far as scope I wouldn’t touch for profit sales of Mame Machines with a ten foot pole. The issues are to nuanced and difficult to solve. I would suggest we setup the class as a build a Mame Cabinet. If we need to supply roms for testing, I would suggest using roms from, http://pdroms.de/ . This site is trying to support the distribution of Public Domain Roms and Open Source Roms. If we do this, I think we should be on the up and UP.

Have a good one and keep it coming.

1 Like

Sounds like we have plenty of monitors for the build class. If we end up needing more or there is great demand by people to each build their own, I work at a auction warehouse and we have 30-40+ LCD monitors all for sale for $10 each. I think they are mostly 4:3, but there are plenty of 17" and 19" if I recall correctly. Message me if interested and I can provide an email to contact them. It’s in Garland near Forest and Shiloh Rd.

2 Likes

4:3 is best for arcades. It would be great to score some.

1 Like

Yes, that is an awesome source for monitors, I’d like to have the contact info please.

1 Like

I’d love to get that contact info too