Lemons Is Debuting an Electric Class

There are winners declared for each class on laps.

I used to keep up better with Lemons, but when I did, yes, this seemed to largely be the point. The more coveted awards used to be, in general ascending order:

• I got screwed
  • Heroic Fix
  • Organizers Choice
  • Index of Effluency

OK so let me put this another way, how do you win a truck load of nickels? just asking for a friend.

Study the rulebook, so you can
a) stay within the rules
b) exploit any loopholes
and win the race outright (in an electric vehicle) to get paid $50,000 in nickels.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

Call EV West and have hundreds of thousands of dollars in your bank account ready to go. If you want to do it for less than $50K then maybe wait 20 years?

Also a decent chassis $500 or less to build on.

A 240SX would be a decent starter. I was thinking early 90s front front drive compact. A mid or rear engine compact body might be ideal. Lower power, less driveline loss (unless you want to build an engine mount structure to relocate), smaller battery. The battery is key here. It’s going to be a huge portion of the budget because you’ll need at least 3 interchangeable arrays. Logistics get easier if you can have 2 people lift it in place, but that may not be plausible. With the tire limitations, there’s a definite limit on how much power is useful.

The same way a Formula 1 team finishes the season with ten million dollars - start out with fifty million dollars.

5 Likes

$450 for the truck and you don’t have to worry about the suspension holding up to the batteries weight or a place to put them. You may even have room for at least some of the prize money. Win, win, win.

2 Likes

Where’s that Purple Lightning at…

4 Likes

Is it still there? I thought it went bye-bye already

It did, I think. I thought it would be a little funny.

Yup, it’d be pretty cool to see it race.

But that’s the fun of Lemons!!

I prefer games that can be won . Tilting windmills got old a long time ago.