Legal Q's Re: Engine Swaps in Emissions Test Counties

4 Likes

Yvan eht nioj :blankspace:

Just one fee. Both places were upfront with me about the items.

1 Like

The plain and simple of it is, any passenger vehicle older than 25 is automatically exempt from emissions testing in Texas. While there is technically still a requirement to maintain the presence of any emissions gear the vehicle was originally equipped with, this is part of a federal regulation, and is not part of any state-mandated inspection. Moreover, the state inspection you receive does not include a visual inspection of the engine or exhaust system. I do recommend having a muffler, as this is required by state law and a police officer or state trooper can cite you if they find that you do not have a muffler. (But it’s not a state inspection item)

If you do the proposed swap, then rock on. Just make sure all your lights and horn work, your seatbelts are in good condition, and the vehicle stops within 30 feet from 20mph.

1 Like

Good enough for me.
Have credit card.
aaaand…

with

and

and

ordered
(I kid, I kid. I’m too much of a skinflint for any of that!)

Just in case someone can’t sleep…

Page 4-1 outlines the items to be checked:
04.05.00 INSPECTION ITEMS FOR VEHICLE CLASSES
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested
order of inspection)

• Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility
  1. Horn
  2. Windshield Wipers
  3. Mirror
  4. Steering
  5. Seat Belts
  6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
  7. Tires
  8. Wheel Assembly
  9. Exhaust System
  10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
  11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
  12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
  13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
  14. License Plate Lamp (1)
  15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
  16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
  17. Head Lamps (2)
  18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
  19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
  20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old

These items each are then elaborated in following sections. Page 4-16 begins elaboration of Item 10 “Exhaust emissions system”. Interestingly, if you convert to an engine which uses fuel OTHER than gasoline, you’re exempt from this check. I presume this is how folks convert gasoline vehicles to diesel and don’t have problems. I’ve always wondered on that…of further interest, it appears doing this may be against the rules (law?) with the EPA, but that’s another discussion. This section covers any vehicle built after 1968, and includes these items, if vehicle was so equipped: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter. The cat is specifically enumerated, and must be present and not leaking. Also such tings as air pump could throw a wrench into my plan. If the original engine has one, and the tech knows it, but the replacement doesn’t have one, could be legitimately failed…

Page 4-18 elaborates on the exhaust, and it’s required to have all mufflers as equipped by the factory, Of particular interest on this project, catalytic converters in post-1984 vehicles MUST be in place and not leaking.

Anyway.
Thank you for your opinions. One just doesn’t want to run afoul of the laws if one’s going to invest a few thousands into go-fast fun-zone stuff (always a threat…) Or at least, one wishes to believe one has a reasonable chance of “getting away with it”…

Happy reading!

PS more fun, if you want it: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/lawsRegulation/rules.htm

1 Like

Most likely be CNG is the exempt engine. Hydrogen if a fuel cell.

Just keep in mind that’s not really the law. Pull up the Texas Transportation Code. That was the law written by lawmakers ( our representatives)

Edit: I’ve seen them, DPS, throw things in the book that are not right.

1 Like

Maybe not, but this is the guide for the sticker pedlar, the first, and with lots of luck, only, station when one must run that gantlet.

1 Like

CNG would meet that wording, as would hydrogen, propane, diesel, naphtha, methanol, ethanol, coal slurry, linseed oil…

It was hilarious watching an inspection tech trying to find the exhaust pipe for the “probe test” on a DIY electric conversion Jeep.

3 Likes

You know, I have never had a safety-only inspection even take a glance at the exhaust. I’d imagine that comes down to the $7 price of admission not justifying the time it takes to throw a car on the lift.

That said, I’m a fan of modern catalytic converters. They’re super efficient and don’t pose as much airflow restriction as one might imagine. The one on my 240SX, for example, flows around 400CFM on the bench, which is significantly more than the engine can move at around 150% VE. And it’s not a performance cat either, it’s just a $100 direct-fit part from a quality manufacturer. Would recommend.

1 Like

I’m with you on that, but I like to know (at least some of) the pinch points on the various maneuvers. For example, I’ve known a number of folks who claim to have been failed for not having cats in the right place. I always wonder how true these stories are, but they’re certainly out there. Seems like it’s lessened in the last decade or two…

That sounds like a California thing. CARB is ruthless and their smog tests are ridiculous. There’s no safety inspection and there doesn’t seem to be any enforcement on vehicle safety, but man oh man if a CHP officer tells you to pop the hood and you’re not bone stock, you are gonna find yourself in a world of hurt.

But in Texas, honestly, none of the authorities that be are worried enough about it to make a fuss. Even if the car weren’t older than 25 (which trumps all of this anyway) you probably wouldn’t have a hard time finding someone who could fudge things and get you a passing inspection. Muffler stuff aside, I’ve never heard of anyone getting harangued by police over their engine or emissions stuff.

Of course, mufflers included, I got pulled over once driving a Jeep that had a nasty habit of blowing mufflers up. Like cracking them wide open. Totally at random, mind. Anyway I was driving through a school zone at perfectly legal speeds when, right as I pass in front of a parked motorcycle cop, the muffler explodes with the sound of so many gunshots, punctuated by the noise of the exhaust, not only unmuffled, but amplified by the megaphone shape of the cracked-open muffler.

Got out of a ticket by explaining the situation and also having the invoice for the replacement I already had on order. Still got a written warning.

1 Like