LED Grow lights revisited

While I have continued to have an interest in the project of a home grown DMS LED grow light project / product, I had become stalled out looking for suppliers of the proper LED units to provide the best lumens per watt as well as lumens per dollar while keeping within a range of specs for wattage, form factor and display angle.

Doing a search on “LED grow lights” on this forum, you may pull up prior threads. . .

Here is a brief recap of prior threads and discussion:

@jagman - has leads on spectrophotometry and the software for the machine
@clayton - began a thread in dec to raise interest in such lights for a variety of applications
@rice81 - me - interested in hydroponics and aquaponics applications as well as my general interest in LED lighting as a means toward home electrical efficiency.
@opcode and @lampy have provided input and general interest
@SRichardson3D - loaned us some metal halides for aquaponics and may be interested
@Ian_Jaeger - has worked with LEDs on an industrial scale and has thermal management and other experience with them

I recently met a local EE with design and production experience in LED products and grow lights in particular who while not a DMS member may be interested in an analysis or brain storming of our resources, interests and such to continue action towards our interests in these products.

Who is interested in an informal DMS evening meeting where we can all discuss things and what is a good evening or weekend?

I think that Bio has many things that we need to discuss. Our chairman stepped down; we need a new chairman. Our Committee needs direction and goals that will help members achieve their projects; for that matter, we should hear what kinds of projects Bio could help our members achieve that maybe they could not achieve on their own. I’ve spoken to a few Bio members about these things; I should probably start a thread just for this discussion.

2 Likes

Let me know when and where and I’ll be a part of it.

I would be interested in this project too, as I have a handful of cree xml leds that I need to setup for my aquarium one of these days.

Note that there is a Bio organizational meeting on Saturday

Let me know if you want to get together and discuss LED / Grow lighting as well at that time. This is quite informal, so doesn’t mean we won’t meet again or plan another meeting.

2 Likes

We will discuss LED lights a bit this afternoon. Sorry for late notice. Will reorganize to have another meeting of the minds on this, but I’ll be there today, so we can see who shows up to talk about what.

Regards,

DJ