Leather Working Gear

I don’t see the tools listed on the wiki, but does anyone know if there are leather crafting tools in the crafts room? If so, is there a list?

We have the Tandy Ultimate Leathercraft Set. It’s in Creative Arts against the far wall with storage bins.

Here’s some YouTuber’s unboxing of everything it comes with.

I assume it’s all still there but could be wrong.

4 Likes

Thanks!
I appreciate it.

Much of it is there, but some of the items have been lost over the years. If you are interested in the kit, try and show up to the arts meeting on the 16th at 7pm. I’m sure we will be able to find what is left of the leather tools and possibly even find you a teacher or students interested in leather working.

FWIW, it’s a pretty complete setup. John K and I bought the same set after seeing what’s in this one. I’ve added very little to my setup since then (some more stamps, mostly).

I’d be glad to walk you through using any/all of the tools - I’m at the DMS most Thursday evenings.

Mike C

1 Like

That’d be awesome.
It may not be until next week though… but yes. Thank you!
Is there a place other than Tandy Leather (it’s not really close by to the Space, is it?) to get materials?

Michaels and Hobby Lobby both have a decent supply of leather working materials, if a little over priced. They do have some leather however bulk leather is best bought either from Tandy Leather or a few upholstery fabric stores.

I too can help answer any questions about leather working you may have. I also my have a few more tools I would be willing to lend out if you need something else.

Eli H

Was “the kit” located, and where is it now?
Thank you!

It should be in the space at the bottom of the tool “buckets” it’s a white tub

I called Tandy looking for a leather working teacher. If anyone is interested or knows anyone please encourage them. Lots of people want to learn leather out here.

@HankCowdog, leather sheath class???

I guess I will have to teach a Intro to leather working class at some point in the near future. I would like to get some feed back as to what other leather working skills and project types to cover in additional classes.
Examples of class types I could teach are, knife sheath and pouch making, leather mask making, leather armor making, purse and bag making, etc.
What would y’all like to see taught?

@Mars42 would you mind posting a brand-new thread to this and ask for class interest? I think you will get some results people are really interested!
Let’s talk about supplies as well.

1 Like

Elijah,

Examples of class types I could teach are, knife sheath and pouch making, leather mask making, leather armor making, purse and bag making, etc. What would y’all like to see taught?

Weapon sheaths (knife, axe, spear) including simple quick draw holders for larger calibers would be nice.

Preferably with a Hello Kitty design emblazoned on the side.

I LOVE Hello Kitty.

JAG “That Which Does Not Kill Me Had Better Run Like Hell” MAN

I’m interested in leather purse making class.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

At Jul 8, 2015, 2:09:37 PM, JAGMAN wrote:JAGMANOrganizer

July 8

Elijah,

Examples of class types I could teach are, knife sheath and pouch making, leather mask making, leather armor making, purse and bag making, etc. What would y'all like to see taught?

Weapon sheaths (knife, axe, spear) including simple quick draw holders for larger calibers would be nice.

Preferably with a Hello Kitty design emblazoned on the side.

I LOVE Hello Kitty.

JAG "That Which Does Not Kill Me Had Better Run Like Hell" MAN

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/leather-working-gear/3404/13 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

I opened a new topic titled Leather Working Class under the creative arts topic flag.