Leather work tools

I’m hoping @brenly responds at a minimum. I haven’t seen the curriculum for the course and so I’m not sure of everything that would need to be covered. There are several free patterns out there that I would feel comfortable teaching on but first I’d like someone else to review/approve. I’m also unsure of how the materials would work for crafting - e.g. leather, thread, and hardware (buckles most likely).

1 Like

Actually, there’s a back thread for us to rebuild the curriculum. That’s not going to happen until sometime mid-August-ish, though. I’ve got a curriculum that I can print, and I thought I’d set a date that you and @steve_a could agree on, either this weekend or sometime next week, and we’d get together and get you two okayed on the tools.

2 Likes

Since it’s going to be a bit to get the online class sorted out, I’ve submitted an Intro to Leathworking class for Next Wednesday Evening. It’s been a while, but I think this class will open up in 48 hours? 10 spots, and we’ll go over the leatherworking tools/cabinet.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16967

9 Likes

72 hrs after submission
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class#What_happens_after_I_click_Submit.3F

Thank you for teaching!

1 Like

You’re a good man, Charlie Brown!

1 Like

Thanks Jorge! Looking forward to meeting you. I’ve seen some of your stuff (Anatoly’s Predator mask) and, as @talkers pointed out, it looks like we are cut from the same hide.

If we recently took a leather working class at Crative Arts of Dallas, can I qualify for certification without the class? I reupholster furniture and would love to get started.

usually you can get checked out with a teacher in situations like this

even though you know the tools, the classes are more about the idiosyncrasies of the space and how we expect the tools to be treated. so you usually don’t get to just skip classes.

1 Like

While the class on Wednesday is full, you can come and audit it. While parts of it will be boring for you, it will tell you how we function in our space.

2 Likes

Thank you! I look forward to it.

1 Like

we are looking into an online quiz that someone can take to basically prove that they’re not going to break tools and such.

I recently got backlogged on quite a few detailed projects and just got a window of free time. Let me see where I’m at with these things.

1 Like