Leather tool bag advice

I bought chisels. I do appreciate the offer. I also just bought cheap magic bag to just give it a try. Worst case is it doesn’t work.

I’d try putting a flat piece of plywood in the bag to encourage the backs of the pouches to stay flat. MDF is porous to vacuum pumps, so perhaps a piece of MDF instead.

Second attempt, we shall see. I ripped the first bag & was also frustrated with my Dyson as that hose has a “teet”. Used my bucket head vacuum.

2 Likes

I haven’t given up on it. I fubared the 10-12 Saddle Skirt in trying to fold over on the top. I gouged/skived the center only to have the damn thing split on me. Then I tried on the other side to wet fold it over, no good success there. So I’ve elected to move on to 7-8 ounce.

Now to my current quandary.

I’m wet molding my tools to the leather. In thinking several steps ahead I’ve come to the thought of if I’m sewing both sides, as there will be tool holding on both sides of one divider, I may run into an issue getting them sewn. So onto my thought of potentially making them kinda “modular” if you will. On each divider will be the tools, they would both have the tool holders if you will but tied to a backing. If I do it this way, it will allow me to place one on each side then securing them jointly with multiple Chicago screws. It will also make quicker work as I will be able to use Almighty Thor to attach them to the backing leather.

Or perhaps as usual I’m just over thinking it.

That can work. You’ll have one more layer of leather than you need but then you can switch out the holders since its modular.

All depends on the construction and how you plan on attaching the divider to the rest of the bag. You can also use less thick leather and add a stiffener like delrin to back it and stiffen the leather.

1 Like

Holy Necro…
I took some time off last week & was able to work on my elusive bag. I trimmed the panels up & then used my newly purchased 1 gallon of barge to glue then saddle stitch all the seems. I salvaged the first portion I attempted out of saddle skirt, used it as the panel base/handles. I cut out some leather for the upper portions & then glued/saddle stitched last night. I did stamp an American Flag emblem on the upper portion. I was going to stamp my last name but my buddy convinced me to do a branding instead. I’ll have to come up with some sort of design for that. I still have to do the handle, the main body & the panels to the main body. That last part will take some work since my chisels are not long enough to penetrate 20 oz of leather so I may have to get an awl likely. Who knows I might get lucky.

Hopefully I will get it finished before this time next year.

11 Likes

Well guys I finished the bag tonight. I finished the sewing last night. The whole thing was all 100% hand saddle stitched, that’s about a total of 367 inches of stitching. I used 1mm thread & 00 needles. The shoulder strap took the longest at about 10 hours of hand stitching, 90 linear inches. I secured the panels with Chicago screws. I machined the feet out of 3/4 brass on the lathe.
Best of all it came in at 16lbs loaded.

14 Likes

Looks Great!

Th…that’s…bad ass.

Will you be modeling it at any DMS events in the near future?

I might. All that sewing has exasperated my carpal tunnel syndrome. But by god I wanted to say it was hand stitched.

1 Like

wowowow! That is so fantastic. So well done Tim. So well done.

I like mink oil to protect the leather, and just got some from amazon. $3 for one, $19 for 3??

1 Like