Leather Sewing Machine Training

I am looking to get trained on the THOR leather sewing machine. With my ultimate goal being to do leather and canvas bags/duffels, it seems more suitable than the Pfaff. I have sent private messages based on who I have seen listed on the wiki or previous Talk threads as being trained, but have gotten no responses after a few weeks.

Who do I need to talk to for training?

3 Likes

Following because I want to learn that tool as well

2 Likes

Right now I’m waiting for @jrkriehn to reply. Matt was the guy, and I thought his handle was mattshooter, or mattxshooter, but it’s not pulling up for me. He’s gone on some long contract or job or something like that.

I watched him do it once. I think @HankCowdog had used it a bit, but wanted more time with Matt to feel comfortable with it. Not sure if we’ve got anybody who knows it any better. I might get together with Mike (Hank) to see if we could get comfortable enough with it (it’s ferocious) to teach it. It’ll be 3-4 weeks before I have that time, though.

I have interest to learn this machine as well. Thank you.

1 Like

I know how to thread the machine, wind bobbins, and sew with it.

I’d be happy to show others how to use it as well.

My weakness: I need to practice setting the thread tension to properly center the stitch within the material being sewn, as this needs to be adjusted based on the thickness of the leather.

7 Likes

The basic of working the machine would definitely help me go a long way. From what I can gather THOR are either local or have a local distributor. I am tempted to see what options they have as far as training, etc.

3 Likes

Please keep us in the loop as to what you find out. Thank you.

1 Like

I trust @HankCowdog to get people as up-to-speed as they can be under the circumstances, but his time with DMS is growing short as he and his wife prepare to move to their place in Colorado full-time.

Paging @matthshooter for input??

THOR is apparently a rebranded version of another leather industrial. Sunny Sewing is the local (only?) distributes, but I don’t know whether they offer training.

2 Likes

Ok, so I called Sunny Sewing Machines (http://www.sunnysewingmachine.com/) in Dallas, they are the THOR listed shop on Google Maps. They seemed pretty understanding of the situation and I will be meeting them tomorrow at 9 am to get the rundown on the machine. I will keep everyone updated!

6 Likes

When I was trying they were filming the class/process in order to make videos of the different steps. Not sure where that footage is. Do we know what happened to it?

If a class on this came up I would be interested to take it!

Threading for the Thor is the same as this, with one small difference that @Lordrook & @matthshooter know.

@gtometich. I would be glad to join you. john a gorman - 214.799.0299

2 Likes

I posted a threading video on our THOR to YouTube a while back. The QR code pointing to the video is on the THOR.

10 Likes

John and I went this morning, those guys are really great people at Sunny. John has the GoPro video of the threading, and we also got basic adjustment questions answered(foot pressure, machine speed, stitch length).

There are many spots to oil the machine(two pop off caps and all the red marked holes), that should be the first priority. Thankfully it’s just basic mineral oil, so nothing crazy there.

I won’t be back up there until this evening, but I will try to practice and get familiar with the machine before trying to setup some classes in the near future. As long as we take care of it, we have a really incredible industrial sewing machine to use!

8 Likes

I put the unedited video in the committee drive under Creative Arts\Thor (I think).

I’ll try to clean it up a little as practice using Adobe Premiere Rush (a smart, streamlined video editor).

3 Likes

I added the link for this video to the wiki Tools page.

4 Likes