Lathe Team Progress on the New Lathe

With low-carbon steel, that should work just fine. Take a look at this video (which is SS):

and, even better at about the 6:05 mark:

3 Likes

And the handle is done.

14 Likes

Very nice work. thanks for doing that.

2 Likes

So @BobKarnaugh & I worked on the lathe a little bit more today. We placed some shim (.005) stock around the speed selection knob to tighten it up some. The shim stock was provided by @richmeyer. We sealed up the gear box, confirmed the power feed will come dis-engaged. We also replaced the shear pins for the thread cutting. We did see that the shear pin would break off if too much pressure was applied. Lastly we cut threads, very rudimentary as we didnā€™t true it up or face it off. More importantly we cut 28 TPI, which is what we were going for. Several of us were also discussing the new mounting of the tool holders. @Photomancer had a swivel tv mount that he found on the donation shelf. The thought is this will be a similar tool holder as what we have on the Bridgeport.

7 Likes

Lathe Team and Machine Shop Members,

Great progress has been made on commissioning the new lathe. A great many members contributed. Special thanks are due to Tim Bene and David Kessinger for making a number of parts and getting the old lathe sold and moved out. The parts made in house would have been costly to procure outside and their procurement would have reduced the funds available for machine shop equipment. I would much rather take a run at making a replacement speed selector dial than attempting to make a 5C collet chuck! Besides, we now probably have the most rugged speed selector dial ever put on a Clausing Colchester 13" lathe.

The lathe is in or at least very near its final position, but is still up on rollers. I intend to come in Sunday afternoon. If we can gather a few interested members then, it may be timely to set the machine on the floor, level it up and do the alignment checkup on it.

On the issue of the three jaw chuck currently on the lathe being very stiff, I am a bit puzzled. I have taken off the jaws by dialing the scroll to expel them, cleaned them, attempted to clear out the scroll as best possible without being able to remove it from the chuck, given the jaws a liberal dose of gear oil and re-assembled. At first, it seemed much easier to dial the jaws but after a few days, back to being more difficult. Peering at the scroll carefully, I was able to see some rough or damaged looking area on the outer most edge of the scroll. I donā€™t know if this is normal or abnormal. The thread engagement surfaces on the jaws appeared to be in good condition. Tell tale damage on the compound/cross slide indicates a violent collision in the machineā€™s history. Perhaps, this chuck was involved in that event and the scroll sustained damage as well.

Regards and Thanks,

Bob Karnaugh

7 Likes

The lathe is now removed of the casters and sitting on the floor. @nicksilva & one other guy gave a hand. It is not leveled though.

9 Likes

yeah, Tim made it look easy with his hydraulic helpers. Nolan Wright and I looked at it and almost simultaneously said ā€œIt looks smallerā€. Thanks Tim!

2 Likes

Thanks for the name. I couldnā€™t remember it.

1 Like

ā€œGive me a lever long enough and Iā€™ll move the Earth.ā€

1 Like

Thanks to all of you that took care of this while I attended the membership meeting. Great Team Work - Great Team. Nick Silva is lucky, as I was, to have folks that help get work done.

Great days ahead for Metal Working.

@nicksilva do you have bin in the galley? If so Iā€™ll leave the sign-up sheets there for you.

2 Likes

My lever was hydraulically controlled. Lol.

3 Likes

Yes. Bin is right in the center on the north wall

1 Like

You guys used the kit we have in Auto? Nice.

Sorta. We used mine & the one in automotive.

1 Like