Lathe Team Progress on the New Lathe

Tim, Jay,

It appears that we have a team of three for now. Regarding the plan to have a meeting following the machine shop committee meeting, there is Wednesday or Thursday. Thursday is a bit more prone to commotion due to open house, so Wednesday might be better from that standpoint. However, if either of you need to be in Thursdays we can do Thursdays. I can go either way. So let me know.

Tim, as for keys there is a cam lock key, a three jaw chuck key and a different size key for the small four jaw. The large four jaw, I believe, takes the same key as the three jaw.

Jay thanks for pointing out that Wiki page on the Clausing-Colchester that Brian had started. It seems that Brian had done some study and thinking about what stood in the way of implementation.

Tim, Jay, do either of you know where the manual for the lathe is? That is some thing that we might be have to get really well acquainted with.

Thanks,

Bob

3 Likes

There is the manual in the committee drive that David @Photomancer found. It goes into pretty good detail. That’s how I knew about the brake & other items.
Wednesday works for me, for the same reason as there is not a bunch of commotion.

3 Likes

I will try and make Wednesday. Sorry to be wishy-washy, just have an unusual week coming. My GF is coming back from Asia and her arrival is a bit in flux. Toss in Valentines day and it’s extra crazy next week :wink:

I’d like to be there for a committee meeting and be more involved in machine shop to learn much more. :slight_smile:

But… Wednesday is my 26th anniversary. Can’t miss that!!!

I can make either day.

That’s why I have committee meetings on two days so more people can make … Hopefully doesn’t conflict another anniversary with someone else😜 if you aren’t there we won’t rat you out.

love to help - usually there Wednesday nights -

Gentlemen,

I am reading of some difficulties with this Wednesday, so let’s plan on Thursday this time around but normally the Wednesday. I saw that in the DMS N: drive there was a lot of material on the Clausing Colchester that was not in the wiki, including manual, parts list, lube plan and accessories list.

Are we definitely on for Thursday then? I may end up there both nights but wanted to be sure.

1 Like

Jay,

Definitely on for Thursday.

Regards,

Bob

2 Likes

We made fantastic progress tonight. The ways for the most part are all cleaned up. We dis-assembled damn near every thing. The compound slide is smooth as glass turning now. We got the backlash pretty damn good. Overall I’m happy as hell with the progress. Thanks @BobKarnaugh, @jphelps & @Photomancer. I do enjoy that kind of stuff.

8 Likes

Gentlemen,

I second everything Tim relayed above about last night’s fantastic progress.
We also, identified a number of replacements that we should order. Today I have studied the parts list, taken part numbers down and contacted both Clausing Industrial and FDK Co. of Houston to get pricing and availability. Neither have all the parts in stock nor much of the pricing at hand. So I am expecting emails early next week with these figures and will share these as they arrive. The out of stock parts may take some weeks to arrive.

Meanwhile we can:

Take off the existing chuck and develop a plan for adapting our existing chucks to the D1
Spindle nose camlock system which differs from the old lathe.
Change out the gear box lubricant (we need to disposition of the waste oil in a proper
manner, the auto shop probably has a routine for this)
Test the motor (After the power connection is made)
When the belts come in, or we find them locally:
Listen to the gear train
Test the speed selector and other controls (David expects to do an epoxy repair on the
broken selector lever and that will probably be sufficient to allow some testing even if it
turns out not sturdy enough for the full fury of the DMS regular usage)

Do the alignment tests indicated in the service manual (we might have to temporarily mount the old tool post on the new lathe to do some cutting for this).

I expect to be at the DMS on Sunday afternoon. If there is interest in this follow up work, I will be available then.

1 Like

Waste oil can go to the closest auto parts store for dumping in their disposal tank. O’Reilly or AutoZone can handle this.

Also, replacement gears can be found. It just depends on if they have the right shaft size and if it’ll need modification to fit properly.

1 Like

I do believe that we need to go with notched/coged belts instead of standard. This will make them last longer, more efficient & transmits power better than standard V belts.

I will deffer to your expertise, just need a part number. Recommended source if you have it.

So I put in a new detent spring & ball from a grease zerk. I cut a roll pin down & put in the second detent position for the standard to metric indicator. This is on the cross slide.

1 Like

1 Like

Try this picture, thread won’t annoy any further,:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I use it often, some would say not often enough,

2 Likes

Not much of anything to show a picture of other than a modified roll pin.

So I put the new AX81 belts on & the new 6829 to find that we are missing the idler pulley assembly. We cut down some 3.5" round stock that we will ultimately bore to 1.875. Then we will cut out an arm and weld it to the new sleeve. I pulled the coolant tank & @Photomancer cleaned it up.

2 Likes