Lathe Team, Parts Quote

Team,

Below is a quote from FDK company for the various lathe parts.

Lathe Parts Quoted.pdf (68.3 KB)

The speed selector being quoted at $625 for a metal part seems way high. Perhaps, we should use the part David is doing the epoxy repair upon to start trouble shooting and evaluation activities and in the meanwhile make an aluminum copy that can resist abuse.

The belts quoted, $17.50 for the pump and $39.97 for each of the two driver may be a way to go. I believe that these will be standard v belts as that was what we found in the lathe, rather than the cogged style to which Tim was referring to for longer life. Can these belts be locally sourced?

The six felt wipers needed were each quoted at $15-$17 so a full set is a bit over $100. I am not clear as to whether these are complete assemblies or just the felts.
We can get hard wool felt pads, circles or squares from McMasters and Carr for a few dollars and cut to fit.

The indexing ball and spring ($11/set) we may not need given Tim’s report of having fitted up a replacement from parts of an old grease fitting, which was rather ingenious.

I dragged an dropped a pdf file of the quote. During this writing it appeared as a string of gibberish; I hope it becomes a real image upon launching the topic.

Regards,

Bob

2 Likes

It’s perfectly legible.

1 Like

Speed selector is fixed. I epoxied filled the back and Tim and cleaned up the woodduff key and installed it yesterday… Works fine.

Have ordered one of the belts, be here on Monday. Online O’Reilly showed they had the AX81 belts on hand, went there today, none. It would be special order so ordering on Amazon today.

Once we have belts, Tim will install plug and we’ll test the motor. If it is okay, we’ll then drain the hydraulic fluid and replace. If all goes well, could actually have it running in a week or so.

Right now the 4-Tool holder post is on it. Will get that cleaned up.

Will order the tool post holder that will allow cutting Concave & Convex cuts.

4 Likes

@TBJK Two AX81 V-belts ordered, should be here at the Space on Tuesday or Wednesday.