Lathe donation. (Beautiful beast)

How about donating it to the new Makerspaces popping up? Or better yet, have them go pick it up.

Make other Maker Spaces aware of it and let them go get it.

2 Likes

At this point it is up to the Machine Shop Chair to acquire it or pass on it. But of course transporting it, finding room and electrical needs are to be addressed as well.

ok, so Iā€™m getting quite the negative vibe over this. I need to let the generous couple know weā€™re rejecting their offer. itā€™s a shame, but this piece of old iron will be scrapped.

I vote against.

1. The floor space is more valuable to us, weā€™d loose that entire corner because we couldnā€™t store anything in that area because it would block the lathe.
  2. I donā€™t think we need 4 lathes: we have 3:
    ā€¦* Engine Lathe
    ā€¦* Sherline Lathe and will get have the
    ā€¦* Sherline CNC running at some point in near future. @richmeyer

It seems the real discussion on the CNC is whether to go with a computer or Arduino/R-pi

If we had lots of space, Iā€™d be for it. Thank them for the generous offer, but I think we should pass.

1 Like

that is what I will do.

1 Like

Would this be available to anyone? I would be interested in going to get it.

it was available to DMS at no cost only because of our 501c status which can grant them a tax deduction for their donation. They are motivated to part with all the equipment, but youā€™ll have to negotiate your own terms. Send me a PM if youā€™re serious and Iā€™ll give you their info.

Would any of these work?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/d/tool-and-cutter-machine-shop/6267675297.html

Would require selling off whatever Machine Shop doesnā€™t want.

heā€™s not looking to part it out and weā€™re not looking to be in the resell business. thanks!

1 Like

You bring up an interesting idea. Similar to flipping a house, some committees might consider buying items that fall within their skill sets/bailiwick but are in need of some fixing or sprucing up, use them for educational purposes, e.g. ā€œhow to clean/repair/tune/make good a [blank]ā€, and then resell them at a ā€˜profitā€™. There are some potential pitfalls with this,of course, including our unofficial motto ā€œStart Projects; Finish Wheneverā€, but that would be on the specific committeeā€™s head.

Until the committee fails at it, and go to the board for general funding for the projectā€“ala the Space Shuttle bus of death and dismemberment.

lolā€¦like I saidā€¦potential pitfalls.

But I notice you have stopped referring to it as the ā€œPOS Space Busā€, so thatā€™s an improvement :slight_smile:

Vector is currently doing that with the Liberty Bell pinball project on Thursday nights. It will be for sale when finished.

2 Likes

More than 120 persons have been through lathe training since I started teaching the intro course a year ago. That would make one think that we need another industrial lathe, but reality is that the lathe is mostly idle as a great number of the class participants donā€™t have a project in mind requiring a substantial amount of lathe time, in many cases none at all.

2 Likes

Very Nice! thatā€™s an excellent accomplishment.
I think weā€™re going to put our efforts into the small sherline CNC ready lathe and go to a full conversion. Doing CAD for a lathe part is conceptually easier than for a mill but the CAM can be a bit funny sometimes. Just think - like the HAAS class in which you make a domino, the sherline lathe class can program a chess piece as the project completion.

Once I get done with my class tonight, my efforts will be put towards getting as much of the intro stuff online. Iā€™ll start with the sherline since Iā€™ve got slides I can adapt, but will eventually hit all the machines.

2 Likes

Just signed up. Will teach at least one a month.