Lathe—custom baluster job

Hi All,

My mom needs to have a baluster replaced in her staircase and I was wondering if anyone here is up for the job! I can take a photo of the baluster for estimates next time I’m at her house, and she has the broken one you could use to match. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!!

If you don’t find any takers here in the timeframe you are interested, maybe check in with the Dallas Area Woodturners (DAW) org…they always get requests like this.

3 Likes

If it’s a simple break and you still have all the pieces it might be possible to repair it by drilling a hole into each broken end and gluing in a dowel to realign the parts.

Drilling the holes oversized and making the dowel just long enough to join the pieces will allow some extra play and allow you to slip the pieces back into place without any additional disassembly. Splint the join with Long pieces of wood and bungy cord while the glue cures.

Some Durhams Water Putty for the missing chips, a little sanding and a little stain/paint finish can yield good results.

3 Likes