Lathe Class Request Oct 2020

Hey y’all,

There was some discussion in the woodshop a couple days ago about laithe classes potentially starting back up soon. I wanted to formalize the request on Talk since nobody that teaches the class was present for the conversation. I’ll keep an eye on the calendar but I know that this puts in on the global woodshop radar.

At any rate, if someone is willing to teach a wood turning class or even teach me 1-on-1 I’m willing to fairly compensate for your time.

1 Like

I’ll do a one-on-one class. No need for compensation, but I haven’t taught for a while. Just need to make sure I’m qualified for lathe qualification classes. What are you looking to make?@Team_Woodshop @IanLee @prl2018

3 Likes

As far as I know there hasn’t been a massive revolution in lathing in awhile, If you’ve taught before and you’re comfortable id say go for it.

4 Likes

Hehe :blankspace:

3 Likes

I’ll be putting some classes up as well. Lathe basics and probably a small bowl class or two as well as a sharpening class for the HSS tools.

4 Likes

Thanks Ryan,

I’ll send you a PM to set up a time & date. As far as what I’m looking to make, my most loyal customer (girlfriend) has requested a French rolling pin.

2 Likes

I don’t need a class because I’m already signed off, but it’s been so long since I’ve used them, I would like a refresher to make sure I stay safe and do things correctly. I have wood I can turn already.

Anyone willing to do a refresher or let me just watch their class?

1 Like

I’m pretty much limited to weekends at this point. I can do early next Sat. Maybe 8:30am? If @prl2018 can put up a class earlier that might be better for you. For what it’s worth, I’d plan on doing a good bit of practice before tackling a rolling pin. They are harder than they seem and should be made from very hard dry wood, which is a bear to turn. We’ll get ya turning one way or another.

2 Likes

Let’s just plan on 8:30am Saturday if you are willing to do that. I am working on a pretty big project now so that will give me time to clear my bench a little bit before undertaking a new skill. Thank you Ryan

I’ll be there at 8:30 am on Sat 10/10 if you want a refresher.

Unfortunately I can’t do early mornings on weekends. I can only do afternoons or evenings on the weekend or weekday evenings. Thank you for being willing to give me a refresher though!

Would it be possible for me to hop in the class as well? Although, my woodshop safety won’t be until Oct 14! :confused:

Sure, but I’d like to keep it to 2 people.

Hi all, I’ve got two basics classes coming up on the 17th. 9:00 am and 11:30 am. They should be visible by Sunday.

2 Likes

Good timing, I am going to have to bail on my plans to teach this weekend. Thanks Paul!

You sure amigo? I’d love to watch one of your turning classes and learn from you?

The lathe classes on 10/17/2020 are live.

And it just dawned on me – I don’t think you need the “safety” class before you take lathe anyway. The safety class teaches you safety on specific machines, which are specifically not the lathes.

1 Like

Bump.

I see your 11:00 class still has one opening …

2 Likes

Thanks Chris!

1 Like

It is true that you don’t need the safety class for the wood lathe. I remember feeling foolish asking someone to cut a piece of wood for a lathe project for me on the chop-saw.

1 Like