Lathe chuck removed

the following lathe chuck key found it’s way back to the lathe. the keys that are not spring loaded were removed from the lathe and tossed. this is to prevent the possibility of someone leaving it in the chuck and starting the lathe. this was also done by committee consent. The only allowable chuck key must be spring loaded.

2 Likes

Leave it in my personal tub and I guarantee that it will be de-miled via plasma torch early next week. Chop off the head so that they don’t come back.

:smiley:

3 Likes

Where are they coming back from? Thought we gave them all away with the old mill!

It’s called Lassie Syndrome and is well documented in professional machinists circles. Some machining parts have been known to find their way back to their beloved masters/machines even when separated by hundred of miles.
:dog:

2 Likes

There were a few found in the cabinet clean out and tossed into scrap metal bin.

Machine Shop & Metal Shop is really trying to get some safe practices going: spring loaded keys for chucks, free break-away lanyards for anyone at Space that wants one, there are safety glasses all over the space for use, Machine Shop and Metal shop have some slightly different clothing requirements: Machine Shop allows shorts (don’t have dripping hot metal), I know Metal Shop doesn’t allow shorts in welding not sure about other non-welding areas (but a good practice) and advises only natural fibers so things don’t melt to you. Both require enclosed shoes and recommend steel toes.

Wood Shop has their own safety practices and safety tools. So we are evolving more and more towards a safer work place more inline with industrial practices with equivalent tools.

4 Likes

Or for fun, give to Tim and let him weld them end-to-end!

But thanks, guess we have to cut things up throwing them away I guess is not clue enough.

My welding skills being what they are I think I could ensure they won’t be used for their intended purposes ever again :smile:

4 Likes

I specify natural fibers and no loose sleeves or hair in
jewelry when we will be using a torch,

Years ago I learned the hard way about mixed fibers
I dropped a glowing red enamel bead in my lap, It fused a piece of my dress to me! Never again

2 Likes

If possible, I would like to ask that we keep a couple of the non-spring-loaded chuck keys around. They can be locked up if necessary. Using a spring loaded chuck key is a downright pain when working with large or long pieces, centering / indicating with the 4-jaw, and several other operations.

1 Like

Sorry, but no. this was voted on by the machine shop committee and we all agree that safety comes first. this new lathe is super strong and comes to full speed and full power almost instantly. the last thing we need is launching a chuck because someone forgets to take it out. need a third hand - ask someone to help. there are a lot of friendly people at DMS.

5 Likes