Lasers, CNC, Leather

Can leather patterns be input into a CNC/laser cutter and cut out multiple versions of the same leather pattern(s)? Or rather, I know such things can be done, where do I start? I’d like to cut out multiple patterns. Would save time over hand cutting items. Thank you for your input in advance.

This has been done many times on our lasers. Be prepared for charring, smell and imperfect cuts. You’ll probably have to have the laser go over the cut lines multiple times. Check out this thread:

2 Likes

Yes. It works great. You just have to CAD the design, save it as a DXF file or some other format LightBurn can recognize and you can repeat it as many times as you can afford the leather. The odor is not bad since they fixed the venting. Edges are charred but it mostly cleans up if you bevel the edges.

4 Likes

Yes you can in the laser, but make sure that it is only veg-tan leather. Other types are not allowed.

2 Likes

I do this all the time for making horse tack, knife sheaths, etc.

Vegtan leather only - chrome tan and oil tan leather (which is usually chrome-tanned first) puts out fumes which are bad for the lasers (and people).

I wet the leather first (as if casing it) and dry it off with paper towels. Thus reduces charring, makes less smoke, reduces (but does not eliminate) smell.

Vegtan smells like burning hair when cut. I recommend a) warning others in the immediate area, and b) leaving the lid closed for 20-30 seconds after the cutting completes to vent out most of the smoke/smell.

Washing it again after cutting and rubbing the cut edges with a scrubber sponge will remove most of the remaining char and smell.

0.05” diameter holes can be included in the pattern as stitching holes. 0.01” line width will be cut as a single line. Vector cuts - not raster. There’s a pancake knife sheath design I made a few years back stored in the Blacksmithing Committee folder on the shared drive if you’re looking for inspiration or InkScape settings.

My settings for leather at DMS are dated, but this might work as a starting point.

For 3-4 oz vegtan (11 Oct 2020)

Etch: 10 power, 200 speed, one pass

Cut: 50 power, 100 speed, one pass

6 Likes

any chance you might teach a class on this :slight_smile:

also how do I access the shared drive? thanks! nice work on the inlays!

I’m not finding this info on Source.dallasmakespace.org, so here’s the outdated but useful info on the wiki
Storing computer files - Dallas Makerspace

The Jumpserver can allow off-site access:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ

2 Likes

As I am currently in Colorado, a class any time soon is unlikely. Perhaps @Webdevel would be willing/able toteach a class on leather laser cutting and stitching?

The shared drive is available from pretty much any PC at DMS (including the Remote Desktop). There is a Members drive and a Committees drive: the latter has a Blacksmithing folder in it.

1 Like

Hi Mike! Been a minute.

Alas I ended my membership to DMS earlier this year as I had not used the facilities but maybe twice in 3 years, so I cannot be of help. There are other members that do this all the time, but I won’t call them out. They may chime in though! yOu know who you are!

4 Likes

Maybe @Lordrook ?

@apparently_weird ? I seem to recall you did some leather laser work a while back …

It’s been awhile since I taught a leather ‘n lasers class. It’s a two part class for those that are interested they can take either of both.

Class 1 is design in Inkscape and we cut one on the laser.

Class 2 is hands on, we hand stitch laser cut leather items.

Keychains are the easier one but have also done a field notes journal I designed.

6 Likes

That is vegtan with a ‘t’

Vegan leather probably contains chlorine.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! @apparently_weird I would be interested in the laser leather cutting class for sure! Hopefully I have not missed it already?

Am working on some new stitching possibilities thanks to a discussion with @Lordrook. Since you’re interested in a class, let me work on new keychain design and I’ll post a set of classes. Will update when they are posted.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Lord Rook is the leather man for sure. I am good with hand stitching myself, but would really like to be able to cut leather patterns with the laser! would save time especially with multiple cut outs of the same patterns like some wallets and sheaths, and be especially nice for finer work like wallets where you really need nice straight cuts even on those inserts. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the updates. thank you!

I go over this is class but just as a heads up for others who may not have taken my leather n lasers class before. I don’t claim to be a leather worker and these classes are not designed to give you access to the leather cabinet tools nor the lasers. Folks have just liked my results so I show how I did them.

If you’re wanting to do batches of items, please follow laser guidelines about usage.

2 Likes

Hi
I am new to the Makerspace scene but I do have some experience in leather and I am really interested in taking the leather and laser class in hopes of getting certified also can any one help me get into the 3d printing class as well my daughter and I are very interested in that as well.
Bill Strother

The 3D print class is in the LEARN section. Access from the MEMBER PORTAL on the home page.

You probably need to get a GREEN DOT to get to that section. Search for green dot and follow those directions to get your green dot.

Two thoughts, your daughter may need to be a family member (with her own green dot), and I am not sure of the minimum age to use the 3D printers,

Umm… Talk is a completely different program from any of the account functions, like Learn. One just needs to be a member and log in to get access to Learn.

In fact, it’s because Talk is totally on its own that requires one to request the Green Dot. The program doesn’t check to see if one is a member, so you have to ask humans to look you up. That’s the point of the Green Dot request.

And, @strother – there are also on-line classes for laser and leather on Learn. Laser teaches you enough for basic use. The leather class is about how we want our equipment to be used and not used. For all learn classes, you’ve got to get 100% to get the certification. There’s been some cross-talk about the 3D printing class being a bit inconsistent between what’s taught, and the answers on the test. However, you can take the class as many times as you need to get 100%.

The Member Portal is at the far top right of the main page, above the line of other links. It’s in smaller print too, so it can be easy to miss.