Lasering Leather

Tried to laser some leather on Blitzen today based on the settings in the material book and off the Thunder Laser website and just ended up with some crisped leather. The leather is no more than 2mm at it’s thickest. What settings have others had success with?

I typically start at 5mm/s At 60% power for cut and adjust from there.

2 Likes

Veg tanned leather will engrave quite well with 25 watts of power. don’t know what that translates to on the DMS lasers.
NEVER, EVER trust the documentation. Always test. Create small squares on a scrap material. Set speed/power for each square and find the optimal combination. I think the idea to put samples on a board was a good step in that direction.

2 Likes

This. This. So much this.

I don’t know why we tell people to try the book settings

2 Likes

Laser now has a magnetic sample board between the wall mounted computer monitors, courtesy of @motopilot. Spare magnets are there. Our members would find lasered leather samples to be helpful. Please consider making one from any scrap leftover.

For 3/4 oz vegtan leather I use

Minpower/maxpower/speed/passes
Etch. 10/10/400/1
Cut 70/70/10/1

i thoroughly wet the leather and pat dry with paper towels before cutting. This helps the leather lay flat and cuts down on burning of the edges.

4 Likes