Laser Updates for Nov 2021

Our Laser Committee Meeting and Elections were held on 11/6/21.

Thank you to @artg_dms @amassey @jmotlagh @D4Noir @cvrana @trapezium and @dougemes (by proxy) for attending and helping to work on the lasers afterward! I really appreciate having extra hands to help keep the machines running well!

Election Results:
Chris Vrana was elected Laser Chair.
Jonathan Smith was elected Laser Vice Chair

Other Updates:
A motion was proposed and passed to change the price of the Fusion laser to $1 per 5 min. Going forward, ALL our lasers will cost the same amount. I will post about this in a separate post when it is up and running again. The reasoning behind this is that it will make the Fusion more accessible to members.

A motion was also proposed and passed to add a new ruling about the manual focus spring on the Fusion. When using the manual focus, there is a spring that should be flipped down. It is very important to flip this spring back up again when done focusing. Failure to do so can rip the spring off.
As this is a crucial step in running the laser, users who do not do this step and cause the spring to break will be responsible for paying for the replacement part ($30). There will be lots of signage and brightly colored tape on the new piece to help remind users of this piece and the new policy. I will make a separate post about this too once the new signs are in place and the laser is repaired again.

A reminder that these new policies are not permanent. If you disagree with them, you are welcome to attend the next Laser Committee Meeting and voice your opinion on the matter.

Fusion:
We decided to mark the fusion as down for maintenance. The autofocus and the manual focus are not working at the moment and the only way to use it is to set the height with the Thickness of the material. Since this is not something covered in the training, most users do not know how to do this. So it is marked down until the parts arrive to fix it. We have parts to fix the manual and autofocus coming very soon hopefully.

Donner:
Donner was marked down because the Y axis was not operational. This was simply because the Rotary Switch was turned on. In the lower right side of the laser bed there is a small switch on the side that controls the Rotary connection. It should be OFF at all times. The Rotary tools for the Thunder lasers do not work as of 11/2021. You can read more info about this switch here: Nova Series Y Axis Motion Failure : Thunder Laser USA Client Support

The bed was also leveled.
Lens/mirrors cleaned.
Axis screws greased.
Under carriage vacuumed.

Blitzen:
No issues.
Lens/mirrors cleaned.
Axis screws greased.
Under carriage vacuumed.

Big Thunder:
No issues.
Lens/mirrors cleaned.
Axis screws greased.
Under carriage vacuumed.

13 Likes

Thank you @trapezium for serving as chair and welcome to @cvrana as the new chair. Appreciate what you do for DMS.

5 Likes

This committee remains in great hands with this leadership. I look forward to seeing the BoD confirm these 2 outstanding makers.

2 Likes

I have updated the wiki.

4 Likes

I just wanted to thank everyone who elected me chair of Laser for the forseeable future, it’s very much appreciated. I also definitely wanted to give @trapezium a huge thankyou for staying on as vice chair.

10 Likes

@trapezium @cvrana

While you’re making signage, should also remind users that autofocus should never be used with the manual focus spring down. The manual spring will contact the material far before the autofocus plunger is fully depressed, potentially breaking it.

So one or the other: autofocus or manual focus spring.

I’m going to be making basically a checklist of things to do in order to use the machine. I’ll be sure to include it there.

Chris

1 Like

Have we received in the parts for the fusion laser? Thanks!

Colby,

Yes, the fusion laser is back up with manual focus only. We are still attempting to trouble-shoot the automatic focus.

Chris

3 Likes

Great news! Thank you!

The IPad still charges $.40 per minute.