Laser Update - Return of the Zing

Howdy!

Quick update for everyone regarding laser. We’ve added a temporary table to space out the computers, those desks were just to cramped. Over the shutdown we received the filter for Zing, so while we don’t have a cart yet, the laser is running at a desk in the space.

Both the filter and the air pump need to be turned on before starting a job, and the interlock needs to be plugged in to the back of the laser. We’re still working on some improvements but when the system settles down more formal instructions will be posted.

All four lasers in the main area are now connected to utilities, sadly, Blitzen’s tube sprung a leak while we were out, so that puts us back down to Thunder and Fusion. Attempts to repair the broken tubes (Donner and Blitzen) are underway.

I think I also owe y’all an update on fusion classes but this is all you’re gonna get at 10pm on a Friday night.

7 Likes

How do you fix a tube with a leak? Isn’t it filled with some exotic gas?

2 Likes

Water leak, not gas leak. There are some brass fittings on the end that seem to be the culprit.

4 Likes

Ugh why does Blitzen always seem to break! I wanted to use the rotary tool, and I think Blitzen is the only one I can use it with if I remembered that correctly from rotary class

Edit: although I am curious how it sprung a leak while we were closed

You might be able to use the rotary on big thunder, I don’t remember if it worked properly when we tested it. We discourage it because a) you’ll be running in the worst corner in terms of alignment and power and b) it takes up the big laser unnecessarily if someone comes in with a large job.

Yeah, wish I knew on the leak. I came in one day, turned on the chiller, and a big puddle formed on the floor behind the machine.

2 Likes