Laser re-arrangement

The new Fusion Laser will be a fantastic add to the Space. As we make room for it and shuffle things about, I have a couple of requests/suggestions.

1. I would like to add cyclone collectors between the lasers and the blowers. The cyclones would collect the large debris. This would help stop blockages and protect the blower fans, increasing up time.

We have added these collectors to things as small as the shop vacs. We don’t have to do it this weekend, but I would like room for them to be considered in the re-arrangement.

1. Make lasers accessible for teaching. The Zing was put into an inside corner. That made teaching very difficult. Outside corners work well for students to see the operations. I guess the plan for the Zing going forward will be discussed at the meeting. (making it mobile for events is very cool). But if it remains in the regular circulation, it needs to be accessible for teaching.

2. Monitor connected to more than one PC for teaching. Not sure how the Fusion and the Thunders will share a screen.

:peace_symbol:

1 Like

What’s the Fusion Laser?

A fantastic add to the Space.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/laser-machines/fusion-pro-laser-series.htm

2 Likes

These topics are actively being discussed at the Chair, Vice-Chair, and former Chair level over on Discord.

The Zing is destined for a rolling cart and portable HEPA filter to aid in mobility for teaching as far as I understand.

The new configuration will be cramped, but it positions laser for increased productivity short term, while waiting for our new digs.

Tell me we’re getting a rotary for the fusion @michaelb. :grin:

2 Likes

You people and your rotaries :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes the fusion included a roller (not a chuck) style rotary.

4 Likes

https://www.epiloglaser.com/how-it-works/video/epilog-rotary-attachment-demo.htm

3 Likes

I have used the roller style on the Epilog at the Lewisville Library. It is very useful with the different planes of the rollers for oddly shaped cylinders. Just do not plug/unplug it while the laser is on. That seems universal between all lasers.

2 Likes

Will the new laser still use RD Works, or a different software? Or is this something we’d need to get skilled up on due to differences, such as like the Zing?

IF it uses the same driver as the Zing then yes you’ll probably have to switch gears a little.
The Chinese lasers use a USB driver and almost all come with RDworks. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with much else.
The Epilog and ULS lasers use more of a printer driver. As a result you can talk to the laser directly from Corel Draw, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

So if you’re currently using Lightburn, it probably isn’t going to work since it’s also looking for that USB driver.

2 Likes

These 3D-printable parts from Thingiverse will make a cyclone collector out of a “Homer” 5 gallon bucket. Tweaking might be needed to match the collection pipes of the air handler for laser (which is larger than the shopvac-sized hoses for which this was designed).

There are already “Remixes” for 2.5 inch hose available as links from those pages. I can help design a different size if desired.

Challenge will be to include flexible hoses to allow attachment/removal of the lid for dumping.

1 Like

Michael showed me the problem was not with debris, as I thought, but sap and resin and soot… Charles Procter suggested a water filter, but Michael correctly pointed out no one would want to deal with changing out the water. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

The DMS’s “Laser Hookah” water - no thanks!

We’ve since talked about a few other kinds of filters, so we might have a better option in the new space. Committee area is tight right now

1 Like

This is inaccurate. I was asked what filtration methods were available and I included Several types of water and oil systems in my list.
I made no suggestion or recommendation

4 Likes

@procterc Sorry if I misspoke. I am grateful for all the suggestions and efforts you and the team make.