Laser Precision Design and Cutting Advice

I was wondering if someone might have some advice for me. I’m working on making a ring holder that would fit into a round box and be able to hold a ring vertically. I’m envisioning a circle with a slot in the center.

I’m going to use the laser to cut 0.2" clear acrylic for the holder. I need the circle to be 1.7" in diameter and the slot to be 0.07" wide and 0.7" in length. I need the measurements to be exact so that it fits snugly in the box and holds the ring tight.

What would be the best program to draw this out exactly to scale to cut on the laser? What laser settings would you recommend for cutting?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I could sketch that out in 5 minutes using an AutoCAD clone (DraftSight), but almost anything with a fairly basic geometry engine could do it.

The real challenge will be determining effective kerf, which is a combination of laser settings (speed, power), material, and the performance of the laser that day.

For example: whenever I cut tabbed boxes out of 5mm underlayment I assume that I’ll lose about 0.01" to kerf. My designs are generally not so critical that I care about the loss of overall length on the exterior dimensions. But it’s nice for the tabs to have a good snug fit before gluing, so I oversize the ‘male’ tabs by 0.02" on the 90° mating surfaces. If I want internal registration I’ll subtract half as much - 0.01" from slot width and height since I’m just taking out wobble.

Can’t speak to how acrylic will behave - I’d expect greater effective kerf since it’s melting rather than burning.

2 Likes

First, you need to decide for yourself what “exact” means. +/- 0.000? +/- 0.003? +/- 0.005"? I predict that your ring isn’t perfect so you might want to give yourself a little leeway. Also, the laser beam is conical so your slot isn’t going to be exactly the same size at the top and the bottom.

Echoing what @esmith says … you need to estimate your kerf (i.e., the material loss along the cut line due to the burning of the laser). I run things where precision matters and unfortunately, testing it is the only way to be sure. The kerf depends on the material, the laser and your cut settings. If you just blast the living daylights out of your piece you will get a lot more kerf. And the kerf can vary from day to day as the laser head gets dirty and/or out of alignment. You need to run your tests on the same day that you plan to cut your final object.

IIWM, I’d make some test cuts with a 1 inch square. Vary the settings until you get an edge finish you like. Measure the 1" square and its matching 1" hole after cutting and that will tell you how much kerf you’re getting. For the outside of the circle, you’ll need to add that much kerf to your dimension.

I’d also run a test of the ring slots. Your kerf is likely to be somewhere between 0.008" inches and 0.014". Set up a test file with the ring slot 0.008" narrower and 0.008" shorter than your desired dimension. Add multiple slots with each one 0.002" larger than the prior one. When you find the slot that fits, then you can incorporate that into your design.

I usually create several vector design files; one with each possible kerf and then I select the “right” one after I have tested my kerf. Your design is simple enough that you should be able to just tweak it on the spot based on your results.

2 Likes

Thank you @ESmith & @John_Marlow! That is very helpful.

I played around in Adobe Illustrator and was able to find gridding options to where I was able to sketch it up with exact dimensions.

I’ll plan to make a few test cuts to determine the kerf, then adjust as necessary. I’ve got plenty of material, so that should be fairly straight forward.

Thank you for the help!

2 Likes

If you are using LightBurn or RDWorks You can create one design and adjust for kerf within the software without changing your original design file. I forget the name of the setting - I asked here several years ago and someone pointed me to the right setting. You may want to search old posts made by me.

The name of the setting isn’t entirely obvious. It’s first generation translated from Chinese so sort of ambiguous. It allows you to cut inside or outside your line by a measurement you specify.

1 Like

This it?

1 Like

Lightburn Kerf Offset

Or

Lightburn in a thunder laser.

1 Like

Yep! And some more characters.

@mdredmond That is very helpful. Thank you for the advice!

1 Like