Laser Masking Paper

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone knows where the laser masking paper is. Unfortunately, it is always out, but I was wondering if it is somewhere so that I can change the roll. Thanks!

Itā€™s coming soon!

Itā€™s just vinyl transfer paper. You could pick up your own supply at GSG if you need it soon. Comes in different tackiness too.

Iā€™m pretty sure we use low-tack paper mask for laser engraving, rather than anything related to vinyl transfer tape, donā€™t we?

The stuff we ordered was specifically for lasering, so it should be low tack. You can use anything but it may leave some residue unless itā€™s ā€˜low tackā€™.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Yea that specific stuff for laser engraving is great. Glad to know it is on the way! Any ETA?

Itā€™s the same stuff. Some hobby suppliers just rebrand it as laser masking.
If youā€™re masking acrylic, thereā€™s also a chemical called PeelKleer 5358. Itā€™s a water-soluble, non-toxic coating that can be painted on. The intended use is to protect paint booths, but Iā€™ve had a lot of success with it. It clings real tight, leaves no residue, and is super easy to remove like normal masking.

On the subject. I havenā€™t tried using acrylic yet. What is masking? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Using a mask over the area to be cut or engraved often gives a cleaner result. It helps prevent excess heat on the surface of the material which could cause burn marks around the point of impact.

Thank you!

Iā€™ve done some beautiful etching of acrylic with no masking at all (Iā€™ve actually never masked it). I do mask wood because the surrounding wood seems to ā€œabsorbā€ the smoke and discolor.

Epilog recommends putting a thin layer of dish soap (like dawn) on glass before etching. Iā€™ve never tried it.

1 Like

This is what happens to wood if you donā€™t mask it. That discoloration would be nonexistent if it had been masked.

Acrylic is fine without masking. Sometimes youā€™ll get some very fine dust around the etch kind of like the ejecta from a meteor crater. Itā€™s easily wiped away.

1 Like