Laser Maintenance Tonight 2022/08/15! Come help!

Concerned about how many of the lasers are down or only marginally functional? Come be helpful!

TONIGHT!!!

2 Likes

@cvrana – I thought I’d make it a little more obvious. Add details as needed…

We’ve got reported issues with each machine, although I don’t expect them to be too major. Blitzen’s alignment issue should be the easiest, followed by whatever is going on with Donner.

The status of Big Thunder is still yet to be determined, but I’m wanting to give it a proper once-over on all fronts to make sure that it’s working like it should be.

1 Like

Good morning! I’m here at the space but I see the same do not use sign on the machines. Are they all down ?

At the very least, big thunder is down for an indeterminate amount of time until we do a full check on it and make sure that everything is fixed.

We’ve been getting intermittent reports about alignment issues on blitzen, but I’ve been unable to reproduce… That being said if I’m over there later today I might take a closer look.

Donner I have nooooo idea what is up on with.

I’m available in the evenings… jot a list of things we can do to help with during this downtime

I am not authorized to work on these machines so nothing I did was intrusive. I checked procedures for aligning the Big Thunder lasers on you tube to verify I understood the basic principals as I used to work on a Full Spectrum laser and there is very little difference.

Donner, does not power up and has a burnt lens. See Picture.

Blitzen is doing shadowing in certain areas of the bed though not all. I’ve seen this before. I did a very quick red beam to laser pulse check and the two are definitely not aligned so I suspect the actual cutting laser is not aligned to the nozzle. A full alignment should be preformed.

I didn’t bother to look at the big laser since someone has it apart, I assume they already know what is wrong with it.

I would be happy to assist in repairs as Blitzen just needs alignment. Donner is either locked out on purpose or has a power supply issue. I had to repair the power supply on the Full Spectrum since Chinese power supplies sometimes have marginal components. In that case it was an under rated MOV (the tech I was talking with admitted as much). No idea what’s up with the big guy. Just FYI.

1 Like

If Donner’s lens is burnt I think we fixed something just like that like a week ago. I’m going to come in today and see what I can find.

I’ll be in starting around 5:45 or so if you need/want a hand.

I very well might not make it in. I’ve had a last minute family emergency pop up and it may need to wait for tomorrow.

I was able to access enough of Blitzen to do an alignment on it. I’m cautiously optimistic I eliminated the double line shadowing and ran good cuts on all four corners where the issue would be the worst. Hope your family emergency is resolved.

1 Like

It’s an emergency only in the fact that I have to deal with it tonight rather than putting it off. Nobody’s hurt or anything, it’s just an inconvenience.

Sorry I missed this time, will make every effort to show up next time. Gene